1919 Chandler Rear wheel hubs felt vs rubber seal

erichill

I am slowly rebuilding a 1919 Chandler that my father tore apart years ago, so everything has been a slow puzzle to solve. This is a 3/4 floating rear end so no seals or bearing in the axle housing at the ends. I am assuming a felt or rubber seal goes in the indentation behind the bearing and that there must be a metal washer so the ball bearings are not in contact with the seal? In the parts i have located on old rubber seal and one old felt seal that fit. And only one flat washer that seems to fit.  

Question is felt or rubber, and am I correct in thought that some sort of metal spacer needs to be in between seal and bearing.

While on this subject should I use 90 weight gear oil in the reared or something  thicker?  Manual just says heavy oil, and as you can imagine not much info out their on Chandlers from the  teens. 

IMG_8001.jpg

IMG_8002.jpg

IMG_8003.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

• Like 1

Your assumption about the felt seal and steel washer is correct. The other gasket is between the axle hub assembly and the face of the wheel keeping the grease in the chamber provided. My 1925 Buick Master axle is similar that all that is mentioned is the rear axle lubricant to be Steam Cylinder oil. Known as 600W in many references. Modern 90 Wt. Gear oil may be much too light. I am sure others will chime in here.

I packed the double row ball bearing with regular HP Bearing grease. Originally noteing "soft cup grease".  My rear hubs have a brass pipe plug where the soft cup grease was to be filled once a season. Many have replaced these with a modern Zerk or Alemite High Pressure grease Fitting.

3 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

The other gasket is between the axle hub assembly and the face of the wheel keeping the grease in the chamber provided

Thanks for responding. Though i am not sure what you mean by the sentence above. I hate that I am ignorant ion this stuff. This is the first prewar car I have worked on beside Ford Model A bit for that there are so many resources available fro help.  You mentieond the year and type of car so i will google and see if I can come up with any sort of diagram. Any clarification on this you can provide is appreciated.

Eric