Small brass Schebler carburetor

MAG473

Agree on the motorcycle.

Schebler made several different types of carburetors for motorcycles.

The most common two are the model H and the model HD.

I am not sufficiently familiar with these to identify which of the above (or one of the less common ones) that you pictured.

Many Schebler carburetors would have the identification STAMPED (NOT RAISED) somewhere on the carburetor. This would be in the format mmmxnnn where mmm is one, two, or three letters identifying the model, X should be read as the words "assembly number", and nnn is a one, two, or three digit number (on modern carbs with tags, this would be the "tag" number).

So, just picking a coupe of possibilites:

HX123 (read as "model H assembly number 123").

HDX38 (read as "model HD assembly number 38").

Once you have the exact model and number, there are folks who can identify the original application.

Jon

• Like 1

I didn't remember Metz using one of these, so checked my records (of course records from 1909~1911 are pretty sketchy), and my records indicate Metz did use a Schebler on the 2 cylinder, but it was the much more common model D. 

After switching to 4-cylinders, Metz according to my records, used Holley and A.W.T. carburetors.

If any Metz enthusiast has factory literature showing differences from the above, I would like to see the information for my database.

Jon.

• Like 1

Yes, it's a Schebler Model H motorcycle carb.  Some of the early ones had a 3/4" pipe thread rather than a flange mount.  And it may not have a stamped model number.

Years ago I printed off these sheets from an Indian site that no longer exists.  If you end up replacing the Model H carb I'd be interested in buying it.

Peter

carbs1a.jpg.4d9ca35ed63e1c94271840016b7bc2b8.jpg

carbs2a.jpg.082c7eee44682ac02694aae0da58513a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...