WTB Schrader metal valve stems

Alan M

Need 6 Schrader 90 degree valve stems that have the bent end about 1.5" from the disc at the end of the stem as per the picture.  Length of the threaded portions not critical but the dimension shown must be close to 1.5".  Thank  you. catalan9@verizon.net

Schrader valve stem.jpg

The Tire & Valve association sets the standards for the dimensions that all of the tire valve manufacturers follow. A TR-40 valve was the same from any maker.  Do you have the actual TR number for the tire valves you are looking for?  When you say approx 1.5", can you give a maximum height that would be acceptable? Perhaps stating what vehicle you are working on

would help in finding which TR number valve was used.  Vehicles that came with the option of wood or wire wheels would have a different TR number for each choice. Just trying to help you out here.

I have Bridgeport and Acme TR-40 and TR-41 90 degree valves. They measure 2" at the location shown in your drawing. At least you now know of 2 TR numbers that don't match your description.

Good luck with your search,  Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply.  I am unaware of the TR numbers.  

The 1.5" dimensions is pretty much the maximum.  I can't provide an exact number but that is what I have measured taking into consideration the bridge washer that holds the disk/tube away from the rim and the fact that the potential interference is with a pair of spokes crossing in line with the valve hole in the rim.

The car they are for is a 1930 Cadillac.  Cadillac literature I have lists Schraeder 4137 for these cars using 19" wheels.

However, during the production run, a Type B wheel was introduced with a wider rim and constant diameter spokes as opposed to the Type A wheels that have tapered spokes.

The hole for the valve stem on the Type A wheels is in a space where there is plenty of room for the 4137 stems which have a dimension of about 2 1/8" where I have specified the 1.5" dimension.   The B wheel rims have the hole for the rim directly under two crossed spokes.  I need these stems for Type B wheels.

I had this same problem in the 1990s when I was restoring the car I am driving now.  I ended up removing the disk from 4137 stems, cutting the treaded portion shorter, and reattaching the disks (welded).  One challenge was finding a tap with the same threads as those on the stems to put new threads on the cut-off disks.  I forget what it was.

Anyway, 30 years later I thought with the ability these days to get the word out to a lot of people as on this Forum that there might be a chance that someone would have the stems as needed.

(As an aside, years ago I had access to an original, unrestored car with the B wheels and metal stems.  I checked the stems and they were numbered 4137.)  I did not know what to conclude from that.

Thank you very much for sharing this.  It is very interesting and helpful.  I find it surprising that there are only two bent stem options listed, 4136 and 4137.  Neither of these will work on these "B" wheels.  The dimension from the disk to the bend is the same for both of them.  The only difference is the length of the threads on the portion going through the rim and the length of the stem from the bend to the end.  I have some of both and so based upon this I will stop looking for some that will work and will modify the 4136s and/or the 4137s I have.

thanks again.

On 1/2/2023 at 11:53 PM, E-116-YH said:

Hello Alan,

These images might help you in your search, the full page is from a 1931 catalog.

Image (6).jpg

DD-6 Early Wire Wheel.jpg

Image (3).jpg

Image (4).jpg

Image (11).jpg

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to scan and share these with others. Excellent high resolution scans and photos by the way! Very helpful to many I'm sure...

Can you post a scan,  email me, or PM the page that has No. 1822 please?

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Dave,

The 1931 catalog that I have does not show the 1822 valve in it's images but in the 1939 catalog that I have there is something close, here it is.

Image (5).jpg

Thank you, David!

Funny thing, when I woke this morning the first thought on my mind was this post from a couple of weeks ago. 

Encouraged to see you are ok...

Thanks again for your response and help, very good information for anyone wanting to make sure they are keeping with original.

Regards

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

An interesting discussion, can anyone tell me what number stem was used on 1928 Chrysler series 62 with wire wheel option and also the stem numbers for use on a 1926 Nash advanced 6 with disc wheels. Also is there any supplier in USA that can supply decent quality tubes with vulcanised bent stems for these vehicles, thanks,

• 4 months later...

About 5 years ago I purchased 600/650-19 tubes with vulcanized 90 degree nickel plated stems for a restoration project. Three out of 6 recently failed and have never been driven on the road. Where they were vulcanized they leak around the edges. Actually developed a visible hole. These were purchased from Lucas. I called and was told they don’t have those anymore. No quarentee and I’m out the cost and labor! Not available. Coker doesn’t have them either. I would definitely not recommend them because the workers don’t seem to know how to correctly vulcanize them. I don’t think anyone in the USA makes tubes in 650-19 size either. India and China seem to be the only tubes available. Michelin has a tube, but it has offset stem. The only bent stems that are good, are the old stock original clamp in type. By Schrader with nuts and bridge washer. Rare and hard to find. No one is reproducing this stuff now as far as I know.

• Like 1