1938 Custom Car

f.f.jones

I know this is a "custom car", but what year and model? California license plate is 1938.

From the looks of the rear end, it might have originally been a sedan, now with the top removed. (not uncommon in SoCal.)

Is that a custom bumper or from some production car?How about the light colored car to the right?    - unusual headlight pod.

The property address is now a parking lot surrounded my modern buildings.

Bumper mounted taillights - Custom Car Chronicle

It's a 1936 Ford Convertible Sedan, and was one of several George Duvall customized vehicles commissioned by So Cal Plating owner Leonard DeBell to be used as shop trucks. 

In the picture, they are on a Southern California race track preparing to pull start a race car with a tow rope. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCarter said:

It's a 1936 Ford Convertible Sedan, and was one of several George Duvall customized vehicles commissioned by So Cal Plating owner Leonard DeBell to be used as shop trucks. 

In the picture, they are on a Southern California race track preparing to pull start a race car with a tow rope. 

My mistake, `36 was my first thought, most `36s don`t have the body detail, `37 body does. After your posting i looked again, found a `36 that does match, along with the trunk lid. It`s a `36 model 68. Thanks for correcting me..1936-ford-68-convertible-sedan-fl19-lot-j219-9-1544117561425@2x.jpg?1546121053000

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

CCC-bumper-mounted-taillights-socalplatiThe guy in the back is holding the small rope that was used to put in the tow rope the driver held in his right hand after it had one loop over the front axle of the race car. You can still see this today at Hershey on Friday when the sprint cars and midges are started and run around the track. Bob 

8-5-d-luptow.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Took some time and the use of the proper search words but here you go, all you need to know about this historic 1935 Ford. Bob 

Southern California Plating's 1935 Ford | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com) 

Just to clarify, the car in that link and the car in the original post are not the same car. The car in Bob's link started life as a '35 Ford phaeton. Leonard DeBell commissioned no less than 5 custom vehicles for use as shop vehicles for his So Cal Plating Company. 

• Like 1