U haul spare trailer size

Bimus

I'm picking up a U haul trailer in Georgia and hauling it back to NM . Tandem axle  enclosed  trailer  They don't come with spare tires and I may have one I could use but I don't know that size tire or what the bolt pattern  measurements are ? 

I believe they are/were the older Ford/Mopar 4-1/2 inch 5-lug.

Your contract requires them to come to you and change the tire/wheel-

Be sure to have them check tire pressure when you first pick up the trailer.

I moved our grandson cross country , first to grad school,

and 2 years later moved him back home with a 6x12 enclosed-

easier and probably cheaper than going round trip with even the smallest of my car haulers

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bimus said:

Thank you  

I just don't want to sit on the side of the road and wait when I could just change it and get back driving

While I understand your desire not to just sit and wait,

there may be legal and/or contractual considerations per "tampering" with their equipment -

Think in terms of a potential equipment failure, or a vehicular incident, and they could claim that your modification were a contributing factor !

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

You do not want to do anything other

than inflate a tire - including plugging

or patching or changing the tire.

You can request in advance of 

picking up the trailer that the 

wheel bearings - rims - tires

be inspected and have that noted 

on your rental agreement.

Then - when you pick up your trailer

before they hook it up - ask again

if that was done - ask that they note

on your rental agreement that you

expressly requested it be done.

Always buy their insurance upgrade.

It is well worth it if you have problems 

and have to file a claim.

Jim

• Like 2

When I use a Uhaul trailer, I take a can of "Fix-A-Flat" with. I wouldn't want to use this to complete my journey, but it might be enough to get me to a safer place to deal with the issue.

And +1 on getting the insurance. There's no cheaper peace of mind then that.

Something else I've noticed is that Uhaul franchisees seem to take better care of equipment then the corporate locations do. They are local owners who have skin in the game. The corporate stores have high turnover and mostly miserable employees, in my experience.

About requesting a spare tire...

When I did business with U Haul a while back, They weren't even allowed to have a new tire in stock if the needed one!

I seen pics of a tire that the customer placed his hand into the tire on a dual trailer that he had just rented at U haul!

In February of this year 2023, I made my trip to Jasper Georga with my mom of 85 to bring back my dad's stuff back to New Mexico. I  made reservations bought the insurance and picked up the U-Haul in Jasper and did the trip in 6 days we were in no hurry just a good easy trip with no problems Everything about U-Haul was top-notch.

Another big concern I had was where to stay the nights on the road the first night out we stayed in Tucumcari New Mexico at the Holiday Inn Express and after that night we planned every night to only stay at the Holiday Inn Express along the way.