Jordan Model Z radio

pughs

The first automotive Philco’s were made in late 28 with the “big heads” and supposedly made for the introduction of the Model J. Rumors are that only a dozen or so were installed. George Whittell Jr who ordered seven Duesenbergs new had at least two of them installed in his J’s. One in the fancy coupe, the other in the Town Limousine. I would expect the Model Z Jordan had the regular “first style” unit sold to Pierce, Cord, Stude, and others. The early heads were all the same but the radio box evolved often…….every few months, so while they have very minor external differences but internally they are much different. Until superheterodyne tuners we’re available, the radios were almost useless unless stationary. On my cars I run a 1938 receiver with the early head…….they work great and only five guys on the planet can tell the difference. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

Steve,

You have a Jordan Z?

Nope…..he has two hidden in the back of the shop. He swore me to secrecy. 🫣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

The sedan still existed in Cleveland after World War II.

There was an article on it in the CCCA in the 80’s………

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

There was an article on it in the CCCA in the 80’s………

Winter 2008.   They didn't include the picture of the sedan sitting in the driveway behind the roadster.   Allegedly there were 14 Model Z's built and only the one survives.

This is the sedan.

1930 Jordan Model Z Speedway Sportsman Press Photo - USA | Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted some great interior shots of the sedan in the big original photos thread………great car, engine was a bit underpowered and uninspired. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pughs said:

Thanks Ed. How do you do that in the forum?

Steve he is using his phone or iPad to save it from the forum and then edit and rotate it and repost it.  You can do the same thing on a PC with an application like Paint, Photoshop or Picture Manager.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It would be better if you save the image. Screenshots you can be losing resolution.

Hell……I was lucky to be able to rotate it. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Steve, do you have the dash from that car?

Just the dash…….and everything attached to it! 

Now there will be a rumor the car is hidden somewhere in the mid west owned by a wealthy and eccentric collector. 😎

To be open and fair, I have no knowledge or information on this car whatsoever……

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The sedan in Cleveland belonged to the same guy that had the Speedway Ace which after his death was restored and shown at Pebble Beach. At some point the sedan was supposedly scrapped but I looked for the Speedway Ace for 10 years being told that it didn't exist before I finally found it in the mid 90's so maybe the sedan is still out there. The dash I have is from the scrapped car shown in this thread.

• Like 1

Below is an a 1930 Transitone ad that lists the cars it was available on. It was to big for my scanner to do in one shot.

I was involved in locating a large amount of Model Z Sedan parts about 20 years ago. That collection also had a dash, but no radio. 

My wife and I did extensive research on the Model Z cars and Facto Auto that built the cars for the Jordan company.  12 sedans and 2 roadsters were all that are believed to have been built.  The cars were marketed around the world along with all of the other Jordan models.

image.jpeg.f1956ebf7be8065593f28d20b885d46f.jpegimage.jpeg.e46049c026b7e77b1e5f331006909e95.jpegimage.jpeg.b57a4f674275a2e53b628cba8c1c89fe.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...