'38 40 Wheel Cylinders

dracenroc

Does anyone have an idea for replacement wheel cylinders for a 1938 Series40?

I'm looking for original bore front cylinders (1" 3/32) with 3/8 inlet thread size which according parts book are part# GM 5450472 & ...71. No NOS, replacement is fine.

I know one can install replacement type cylinders with different bores as Bob's offers it as an example but I hope to find some with the correct bore.

Its easy to find rear 1" bore cylinder replacements. Some front 1" 3/32 bore cylinders are popping up too by searching the web but I'm not able to catch all the information from this offers in order to figure out if it will fit or not.

So probably someone knows a replacement part number.

Thanks! 

Oldsmobile used the same part number 5450472 and 471, cylinders with bore size 1 3/32" from 1940 thru 1956, (also attached to number W6090-500D?) Delco number 18E743 and 744. Olds obsolete has these 5450472, 471 wheel cylinders but are pricy

Are cylinder bores ok on yours? if so GM repair kit with new pistons, rubber cups and springs is part # 5456700 and is listed as 1 3/32" and is for sale on e-bay

https://www.ebay.com/p/17017132078

Bob

I realize that over the years different part number superscede older part numbers. In my parts manual, it looks like the original wheel cylinder part numbers should be:

5301078 - Right Front

5301079 - Left Front

5450214 - Rear

It appears that 5450214 is still available from NAPA. 

I have a few extra wheel cylinders in that I picked up with a 1938 40 Series that I purchased as a body donor for my 1938 60 Series restoration. It appears that I have some marked FD6088, some marked 6088, and some marked FD6122. I have no idea exactly what these fit. I will need to clean them up a bit to better assess their condition if anybody can figure out what they fit and needs them. 

Thanks to all for the Information!

@NailheadBob:

I have seen the NOS cylinders from old obsolete, won't go that far. Bores on mine are really bad, rusty and a lot of dirt in it, wondering that they worked like this. Don't know when the last brake job was done but must be quite along time ago. In front are EIS 521 P4 and the rear ones are 5450216, Delco, I guess, don't have them in front of me right now. So actually they are really rotten and I don't want to rebuild them.

@MCHinson:

I googled the front part #53... quickly but couldn't find anything similar, will check out the other numbers, too. The rear ..214 are easy to find, thanks.

@EmTee:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Most probably I will do it the same way, replace them all with a "set", no matter if front cylinder bore might be a little more then specified.

Best, Werner

• Like 1

I still have the original cylinders that were on the car, however, the bores are so badly pitted that they would need to be sleeved before they can be used again.  Given that I drive the car I'm less concerned with having the original ones on it right now.  Nobody sees them anyway...

• Like 4