Oil pump/housing removal

DV8

I'm getting a constant oil light after warm up and am topping off the oil at least a quart a week. She's always had some typical slow drips in places but never bad enough to not be manageable from oil change to oil change. The recent and significant issue is right at the filter. The oil pump housing has always looked a mess with oil caked on all over it. I'm thinking of pulling the oil pump housing and finally replacing the gasket at the next oil change if I can. Is there anything to watch out for or be aware of when doing this? I can find info in the shop manual about inspecting and rebuilding the oil pump but not removing it. It seems fairly straight ahead to drain the pan, remove 3 bolts, done. But, I know there's a shaft and a gear that extends into the engine and I'm hesitant on messing with that without knowing more.

6 hours ago, DV8 said:

I'm getting a constant oil light after warm up and am topping off the oil at least a quart a week. She's always had some typical slow drips in places but never bad enough to not be manageable from oil change to oil change. The recent and significant issue is right at the filter. The oil pump housing has always looked a mess with oil caked on all over it. I'm thinking of pulling the oil pump housing and finally replacing the gasket at the next oil change if I can. Is there anything to watch out for or be aware of when doing this? I can find info in the shop manual about inspecting and rebuilding the oil pump but not removing it. It seems fairly straight ahead to drain the pan, remove 3 bolts, done. But, I know there's a shaft and a gear that extends into the engine and I'm hesitant on messing with that without knowing more.

I think you are confusing the oil pump with the oil filter adapter? If so, after removal check very closely to make sure the casting is not cracked. When you reinstall the bolts dont overtighten them. If there is a torque spec in the shop manual, which I believe there is, use it and an appropriately sized torque wrench for reinstallation.

Tom Mooney

• Thanks 1

Check the oil pressure sending unit.  Clean it off and then run the engine.  Look for oil seeping from the crimp joint where plastic and metal come together.  Actually, a liberal shower of the oil pump/filter area with brake cleaner and small brush would help pinpoint the source of the leak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, DV8 said:

What car is this?  Your signature says 65 Riviera 425. Isn't the Nailhead oil pump inside the pan?

Edited by LARRY70GS (see edit history)
  • Like 1