Horn button removal

SC38dls

Hi all, I’ve finally found parts for my 38 State Commander horn button. I tried to get the button out of the center of the steering wheel with no luck. I am not putting too much pressure twisting it as I’m worrying about breaking it. Does anyone know do I twist it clockwise or counterclockwise as I have no idea for sure. It has the original banjo steering wheel if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help offered. 
dave s 

I can only say how I did it on a 1940 Commander. Push very firmly in on the whole horn then turn counter clockwise about an eighth of a turn. There are rubber bushings in there that may have turned to solid lumps so you may have to push pretty hard to depress it enough.

• Thanks 1

On my 1937s, the rubber was solid! Unhook the battery, and you then  have to force it, pressing in, hard, while turning. The “rubber” may disintegrate. Get new rubber. On one, I sprayed silicone in it around horn button. That may NOT  be recommended but it worked for me. 
Good luck. 

• 1 month later...

I had a customer tell me of the method he used to replace the horn button retaining rubbers.  I tried it on a nos retainer that had the rubber rock hard.  Cut the old rubber on the backside and push out.  Then on the new rubber put a slit to the pin holes to the inside edge of hole. Press the rubber between the metal plates and around the pins.  Then put a drop of super glue.  See photos.  It works.  

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

023.jpg

Thanks. I haven’t tried getting it off yet as life interrupted working on it the last couple weeks. Hopefully I’ll get to it soon then get the parts I need from you. I’m sure it will need the rubber parts but it may need more as it rattles now. 
dave s