39 Hupmobile tail light

edk

Hello,

I have a bit of a different question.  I know what these came off of and am fairly certain they are original, but am wondering if they were from another vehicle or possibly an aftermarket item.  

They are on an early pre production Hayes body Hupp Skylark.  R100504.  At first I did not think they were original, until I saw them on pictures of two other very early cars, I think 501 and 505.  Strangely enough after removing these bezels and lenses, there are the Cord housings complete and could have had the Cord lenses installed as is.   

I restored another early car R100528 and it did not have these bezels or lenses, but the Cord style.  Have a pic of 529 also and it did not have them either. 

I actually have both with lenses, but would be curious if these are off something else and could possibly look for spare or better lenses, they are plastic.  The lenses are marked   A G A and Stimsonite No 150.

Thanks in advance, I know there are some pretty knowledgeable members on here and figured it was worth putting it out there.  

Ed

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Why would some mount the housing and lens up side down?

To keep the bulb out of any water that might leak in…

I think I would try to clean up the original lenses with a new buffing wheel and compound made for plastics. I have had good luck cleaning up scruffy Bakelite this way and if it’s not badly gouged they will look decent until you find replacements. 

Yes think I will, but mostly curious what these are from or off of.  Really no reason I can see to even put them on since the cord lamp is already there just needed a lense.  Maybe when they built these preproduction cars at Hayes, they didn't have any Cord lenses??     Thanks for the reply. 

They do look aftermarket.  I tried searching the number on the lens without success.  Also figured maybe someone might have some more info to reinforce my thought that they were original.  

Thanks for the input.  Ed