1978 Mercury Cougar XR7 $3750 Not Mine

This is a nicely equipped late 70's car for bargain dollars.  Answers the age old issue about the hobby being too expensive to be in. 

Note the full gauge package which is nice, and a bit humorous.  The tach is the same numerically as the speedometer! 

I am not a big fan of power windows and seats on my old cars, just one more item to go wrong.  Yet, I like that this XR7 has the optional factory magnesium wheel set used on Cougars and Thunderbirds of that era.  I wish it had bucket seats/console but I suspect very few of these had that option.    The 351W is the engine to get and was likely what you got with the XR7 package versus the 302.  

Most will not care for the colors, but as some of you know I like golds, brown and tans.  It doesn't always work for me, but in this case, the contrasting half vinyl roof and dabs of chrome in the bumpers and grille make a nice contrast.  

Still for sale after 2 weeks, a likely $3,000 cash to enrich this family's holiday season will yield a nice collector car you can take to local shows, AACA events and ice cream runs.  

Another good deal. It's my impression that these big American cars from the '70's are really coming into their own right now. (Probably a result of obscene prices on cool '50's and '60's cars in good condition. Imagine what a Cougar from ten years earlier in this kind of original condition would be priced at! ) My older brother had one of these as a company car back in the day. I remember it being a pretty solid vehicle.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Looks like a winner.   A nice straight car.  I like the colors just fine.  Would not be my first choice but not my last either.  Never seen one of these with the full factory gauge package. Gotta be rare especially on a cloth bench seat column shift car.  All it needs is some whitewall tires.  I would ditch those horrible white letter tires right away!

I like the 1977-79 Mercury Cougars, and wouldn't mind

owning one.  The legroom in the back seat is skimpy, though--

skimpier than in some other "personal luxury" coupes.

Almost never seen today are the 4-door Cougars.

They have good styling too.  Call me a heretic, but

I would just as readily own a 4-door Cougar because

of its rarity today, and because passengers can better

enjoy the back seat.  I recall seeing only ONE sedan

for sale in excellent condition.

1978 Mercury Cougar sedan catalog.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I like the 1977-79 Mercury Cougars, and wouldn't mind

owning one.  The legroom in the back seat is skimpy, though--

skimpier than in some other "personal luxury" coupes.

Almost never seen today are the 4-door Cougars.

They have good styling too.  Call me a heretic, but

I would just as readily own a 4-door Cougar because

of its rarity today, and because passengers can better

enjoy the back seat.  I recall seeing only ONE sedan

for sale in excellent condition.

1978 Mercury Cougar sedan catalog.jpg

These cars were terribly space inefficient compared to what came after- say, the Fairmont or the next gen Fox cougar which was a much smaller car with more interior room.  Still, they have a charm and charisma the later cars cannot duplicate.  I like the 4 doors too and the wagons even better.  They made a Cougar wagon for 1977 and 1982 only.  The 1982 was on the Fox (Zephyr) platform.

57 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

John

I am frustrated by the photos disappearing.  I am only copying and pasting direct from the ad so maybe I am missing a step. 

I'm not sure what happened, Jake.  I can see that the

"copy and paste" method might stop working if the

original ad had been deleted:  Somehow you are copying

a link, not just an image.  But the original ad is still there!

I save a picture to my computer, and then put that file

into the forum.