Front spring replacement on 67

Mister Fab

I don‘t think there is enough room for this Tool. What does the Shop manual say?

Can you use a 12mm threaded rod through the upper shock absorber hole ?

I made a plate from aluminium to place it above the 5th spring winding an compressed the spring just enough to remove the lower control arm. Picture is from a 63 Riviera. 

C29D89DF-919A-45FB-8B0C-DA8CB82EF3EC.jpeg

Edited by OldGerman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You don't need a special tool for this. Use a ratchet strap through the first full coil of the spring on the bottom and strap it to the lower control arm snug it up fairly tight but you don't need to make it unbearably tight. Use a floor jack and put pressure on the lower control arm until you take pressure off the spring and compress it just enough to be able to loosen up the lower ball joint nut. Break the ball joint loose after lowering the floor jack down just a touch, the jack will keep it from popping fully loose. After the ball joint is loose, put more pressure on the lower control arm to remove the nut and then lower the floor jack down slowly and the spring will loosen up and once the lower control arm is fully lowered your spring should be just loose and sitting there attached to the lower control arm with the ratchet strap. Loosen strap and spring should almost fall out. You're using the weight of the car to manage the spring tension, Super easy to do.

Edited by my first riv
added more context (see edit history)
  • Like 1