Looking for individual in the Chicagoland area to restore 1960 MGA, suggestions?

NailheadBob

I am trying to help a friend, his father owned this 1960 MGA and had removed the cylinder head because it was cracked, and got a replacement head but never got it installed back on car, he believes all engine parts are here, have many extra parts, seat frames, transmission,radiator, wire rims, and many more parts. The only part known is missing is right rear tail light, have old wooden floor boards but they need replacement, Odometer reads 48,358.

Number on engine bock 16GA/U/2388. AR Number GHNL/71079 . Engine number SEE .

Thank You in Advance for any comments or suggestions.

Bob

01969D7C-C60C-4935-B7B9-89A0649C137E.png

99D9298D-065B-449D-8007-6D07E34EF39C.png

473203CF-2159-41C1-86E4-B2AC72D8268A.png

6A905EEC-978E-43BA-B234-907399CBBE72.png

Edited by NailheadBob
Add photo (see edit history)

You might get a good tip from the forum here, but I might also suggest you join the Chicagoland MG club. It is a pretty active robust community locally and online. I would think you could  get some suggestions from people in the club about a quality Chicago person who can take on the project.

• Thanks 1

As John says, your local MG club. Dead easy cars to work on, and good spares back up.  Moss stuff is often suspect , but they are the main source these days. Compare carefully to your old parts. A joy to drive. I own one today and have owned several over the years. Bought my first one in 1975 and never been without one since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Restored two 1960 mga s in last 4 years , yours looks a better example than I started with so definitely has potential .

However probably will still need total restoration, body shop will probably charge 20/30k and an individual working hourly rate may seem cheaper option ,but hard to monitor and control and will still be a sizeable sum .

I m afraid you need to consider whether you intend to restore to keep or restore and sell . Restored examples fetch about 30K so when adding your cost keep that in mind 

good luck with it

• Thanks 1