Dodge Bros truck

EdStewart

I've acquired a 1928-30? Dodge Brothers flatbed truck that had been used in agriculture in Northern California. My friend bought the truck in 1985 and disassembled it over time, taking care in cleaning and restoring the wear and tear. Unfortunately, Danny passed away in 2009. I’ve talked with his wife over the last couple of years about putting the truck back together and decided to give it a go.  She’s happy to have the boxes of parts out of her house and I’m looking forward to making it whole again.

The engine has been rebuilt with new pistons and valves. The head appears to be in good shape along with the carb, generator, starter, water pump, brake cylinders, drive shaft, steering assembly, etc. The clutch disc and brake shoes have been relined.

The engine is a straight six, serial # H18-870.

I found the chassis number on the left front frame rail, S113250,

I assume the S in the frame number denotes it as being made in Stockton CA.

I confirmed the wheelbase is 140” and a chart I found on the internet leads me to think it is a 1-ton. Is there a way to confirm the model? I haven’t come across any ID plate that may have been with the truck.

Danny thought it was a 1928 but he wasn’t sure- sometimes he calls it a 1929. Is it possible to identify the year by the serial #? 

Are manuals available for the truck that would show exploded views of the systems, especially the drivetrain? Most of the components are familiar, but some, like the flywheel and pressure plate are strange to me. I’d like to get the wheels back on so I can roll it- any resource to help put this back together properly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Dodge Bros.jpg

Dodge engine- left.jpg

Dodge engine- right.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 10:17 PM, EdStewart said:

I've acquired a 1928-30? Dodge Brothers flatbed truck that had been used in agriculture in Northern California. My friend bought the truck in 1985 and disassembled it over time, taking care in cleaning and restoring the wear and tear. Unfortunately, Danny passed away in 2009. I’ve talked with his wife over the last couple of years about putting the truck back together and decided to give it a go.  She’s happy to have the boxes of parts out of her house and I’m looking forward to making it whole again.

The engine has been rebuilt with new pistons and valves. The head appears to be in good shape along with the carb, generator, starter, water pump, brake cylinders, drive shaft, steering assembly, etc. The clutch disc and brake shoes have been relined.

The engine is a straight six, serial # H18-870.

I found the chassis number on the left front frame rail, S113250,

I assume the S in the frame number denotes it as being made in Stockton CA.

I confirmed the wheelbase is 140” and a chart I found on the internet leads me to think it is a 1-ton. Is there a way to confirm the model? I haven’t come across any ID plate that may have been with the truck.

Danny thought it was a 1928 but he wasn’t sure- sometimes he calls it a 1929. Is it possible to identify the year by the serial #? 

Are manuals available for the truck that would show exploded views of the systems, especially the drivetrain? Most of the components are familiar, but some, like the flywheel and pressure plate are strange to me. I’d like to get the wheels back on so I can roll it- any resource to help put this back together properly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Dodge Bros.jpg

Dodge engine- left.jpg

Dodge engine- right.jpg

Welcome to the forum

IF the engine is original to the truck then it's a 1929 DA140 built in the spring of 1929, my guess would be April or May. 

The only way to know for sure is to find documents of it's history or sending for a build card to the Chrysler Museum (her contact info is listed at bottom of page). If they have the build card on file (not a guarantee) then they will look it up by the frame number (S113250) to determine the date your truck was built, that card will also verify if the engine is original to the truck. Here is an example of a build card showing a 1930 Model DA124 built on March 11, 1930 with a panel body. Note, everything you need to know about your truck is on the build cards. On this sample card you'll notice things like the letter B is prior to the wheelbase under Model (you'll also see B signified 3/4 ton on the model charts later as you read). Your build card should show C140 6cyl under Model if your truck is a 1 ton. A build card will also show (in most cases) your serial/frame #, ignition and door key #'s, engine #, axle ratio, body style under options and special equipment, what dealer it was sent to, how it was shipped, what city it was sent to, if it came with bumpers, the order number and most importantly, the date of build.

image.png.c6fe9c9cee00e2f3783ee512944bd323.png

I'm confident you'll find your engine is correct for your truck and you'll find out yours is a 1929 DA140 based on other previous build card info that we have entered into our database.

Here is a snippet example of another DA140 from our database to compare your numbers to:

Keep in mind the H in the engine code is simply a prefix code that shows the reader/mechanic it's a DA6 engine and the DA6 was used in both cars and trucks. This snippet example engine #H36593 will seem much higher than yours due to passenger car DA engines being built concurrently (in theory) thus, the cars may have absorbed some of those numbers causing the descrepancy. Meaning, while your frame number is only 889 units lower than this example of a DA140 built on 06/18/1929, your engine number is 17,723 units lower than this example engine number. My belief (again, still trying to prove this theory) is that the passenger cars absorbed those 16, 834 units (if my math is correct) hence the descrepancy between this example below and your truck numbers. Again, this is assuming your engine is original to the truck, which I believe it is based on this build card and the model chart I'm attaching. The number 9993 is simply an internal order number on the build card of this example. The order number will also substantiate the chronological order that your truck was produced. I'm guessing your order number will be around 9000 if you can secure the build card. This is probably an overload of information for now but you'll find yourself returning back to it over and over until you understand it thoroughly (which is why I'm trying to load it all on one page for you since the answers are in so many places). 

image.png.a7211f9db10a9c5a0942e2918c12ea14.png

As for the diagrams or exploded views, there really isn't much available on the mechanical side but your best bet will be to purchase a "Instruction Book" for 1929 One Ton Trucks. They are hard to find and are rare but they do come up for sale from time to time. If you don't find one at the  AACA then you'll want to check other places like eBay, Faxon Auto Lit, Troxel Auto Lit and other places continuously until you find one. Below is a photo of the cover of an Instruction Book for 3/4 ton trucks that used the DA6 engine (like yours) and the U 4 cylinder Plymouth engines. The cover will be similar to this, again this is only an example of the 3/4 ton trucks being the closest I could find. I'm also posting the side view of the engine from this same book that should show you what the contents of these books are. Note the radiator badge on the cover. I believe yours may have been a round Dodge Brothers badge just after the Graham Brothers name was being phased out from the Chrylser buyout. Some Graham Brothers badges may have made it through the pipeline so I'd be curious to know what your radiator badge looks like. Another forum member goes by the name Stakeside will probably input what the badge looks like as I believe he has the same style radiator. 

image.png.48bbc7287ddfe61d738ab860561e7905.png

34.jpg.5fe83b1cb45e67f4cfba9e8fe634b2b4.jpg

Note the manifold in this photo. Can you tell us, do you have this manifold in your parts inventory?

35.jpg.52fb6da937c535055008a65bfd56ce49.jpg

Here are the model charts that will help guide you along with the link where they can be found. 

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder (t137.com)

page13.jpg

Here's the section highlighted. Note the only other 140" wheelbase truck within the serial# range was the IE model that was a 1 1/4 ton with a Victory Six engine (Victory Six engines were signified by the number 130 in the engineering code section along with the wheelbase number). It's possible you have the IE model and the H code engine you have was a replacement. If that's the case you have a 1 1/4 ton truck, but as I said, the build card will answer that question without any doubts (assuming they have your build card on file). 

image.png.f4fa52e86d421c355b165866683244cd.png

You can reach Danielle at the Chrylser Museum directly by email. You'll possibly need to provide bill of sale or copy of title to prove ownership along with a small fee and she will reply as soon as she gets time. Keep in mind due to the pandemic they are running behind so please be patient.

I believe this is her most up to date contact information.

danielle.szostak@stellantis.com

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your findings and research. 

Lastly, consider joining the Dodge Brothers Club as we have many other Graham and Dodge Brothers truck owners that are always willing to help out.

Dodge Brothers Club

Regards
Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the quick response, I'll go through your post carefully Dave when I get a bit of time- I'm just finishing building a home in the Pacific Northwest and it has consumed my time for the past 2 years; don't build a house during the height of Covid.

Anyway, I worked in San Diego County for 38 years and that is where the truck is now. There are a lot of resources in Southern California to complete this truck, but I sold my house in Oceanside and have moved to San Juan Island WA and worry that I may be too removed from parts and whatnot I need to get this back together. I rented back my garage in my old house until November and the truck and parts are the only stuff down there. I retired when Covid hit and had kept the truck as a project. I worked in a garage from '72 to '76 and am comfortable around a wrench, but there are some foreign parts to me on these trucks. For example, I've changed a ton of tires and learned how to safely mount and inflate truck split rims, but as you know, these rims are a different animal with the split across the rim, two solid rings and a split ring. I called Coker and Universal tire and they supply the tire ( I believe they are 6" x20") but gave no advice on where to have them mounted.

My kids live in the SF Bay Area ( I grew up there too) and I've thought renting a garage there to have better access to resources. My son is also interested in being involved.

The countertop guy just showed up so I have to run- I'll continue looking into things. I've been a member of the Fallbrook Vintage Car Club and the AACA for years but have never posted in a forum. Is this the forum to ask more specific questions particular to the truck, or is there a specific Dodge or truck site I should post to? (I've come across Stakeside's posts over the years, and recently saw a picture of his truck- it looks to be the same). 

Thanks again for the help and will check if I have pictures of the radiator and the manifold ( I believe my manifold is the same as the illustration)

Take care,

Ed

6 hours ago, EdStewart said:

Thank you all for the quick response, I'll go through your post carefully Dave when I get a bit of time- I'm just finishing building a home in the Pacific Northwest and it has consumed my time for the past 2 years; don't build a house during the height of Covid.

Anyway, I worked in San Diego County for 38 years and that is where the truck is now. There are a lot of resources in Southern California to complete this truck, but I sold my house in Oceanside and have moved to San Juan Island WA and worry that I may be too removed from parts and whatnot I need to get this back together. I rented back my garage in my old house until November and the truck and parts are the only stuff down there. I retired when Covid hit and had kept the truck as a project. I worked in a garage from '72 to '76 and am comfortable around a wrench, but there are some foreign parts to me on these trucks. For example, I've changed a ton of tires and learned how to safely mount and inflate truck split rims, but as you know, these rims are a different animal with the split across the rim, two solid rings and a split ring. I called Coker and Universal tire and they supply the tire ( I believe they are 6" x20") but gave no advice on where to have them mounted.

My kids live in the SF Bay Area ( I grew up there too) and I've thought renting a garage there to have better access to resources. My son is also interested in being involved.

The countertop guy just showed up so I have to run- I'll continue looking into things. I've been a member of the Fallbrook Vintage Car Club and the AACA for years but have never posted in a forum. Is this the forum to ask more specific questions particular to the truck, or is there a specific Dodge or truck site I should post to? (I've come across Stakeside's posts over the years, and recently saw a picture of his truck- it looks to be the same). 

Thanks again for the help and will check if I have pictures of the radiator and the manifold ( I believe my manifold is the same as the illustration)

Take care,

Ed

In  my opinion this site is the best for continued dialogue for your truck. You can either post here on the truck section or in the Dodge Brothers section for cars as most of the car and truck guys visit that and since your engine the DA6 was interchangeable with the passenger cars some of the car guys might be able to help in other areas. I prefer to post on the Dodge Brothers section but that's just my personal preference since the audience is bigger but either section works.

8 hours ago, EdStewart said:

What is the difference in the models such as the IE and the DA? Body style? There are so many models!

I found some pictures of the truck parts.38450967_Dodgeframe.jpg.2954027c054f82605e3e0cca3a7b1a2a.jpgIMG_5281.jpg.1876fcc9275a02ac57f65a6d706a3909.jpgIMG_5255.jpg.edddb402338e7ca57691dc9b4796b97d.jpgIMG_5282.jpg.8b8e10e3acccda705ae30a5175fd68e0.jpg

Those are DA140 parts from what I can tell, but again, sending for the build card will give you the final result for sure.. 

It's true there are a lot of different models but don't let it confuse you, just keep it simple. Since you know the wheelbase is 140" that narrows it down to only two possibilities, that along with the frame# range and comparing it to the build card we already have in the database tells us it's a 1929 DA140. If I was you I would disregard all the other models until you need to cross reference parts numbers as some of the parts may have been interchangeable on other models but I wouldn't worry about that until you get a better grasp on your overall inventory. As nearchocolatetown mentioned, check with the AACA to see if they have the books you'll need, if not just ask around as some of us may have info that might help. Some of your answers may be in many different places and many of us have small pieces that help put the picture together. 

image.png.ca006ede7241064816b126596388466d.png

Here's some tidbits I found in the meantime that might help assure you the information is out there..

image.png.6537ac4da71d42e179ab62358d53374f.png

image.png.d5e0de7eab5b244f48c87949e2fa46a5.png

image.png.6a0bc35497350fd29915de4a4503edff.png

Here is a snippet of the parts list book you'll need to locate if you contact the AACA. 

image.png.ce63627a41979f6fe29465d97f190d4c.png

The front cover will look similar to this but it will say 1 ton 140" on it instead of 3/4 ton 124". Technically your truck is still an E series truck but with the new DA6 engine as they were phasing out the Graham Brothers line from the model IE 1 1/4 ton with the Victory Six and 140" wheelbase to the new DA6 engine with 140" wheelbase. As you may have learned already, this was a very confusing time because of all the changes taking place due to the Chrysler buyout. Hopefully this helps you to focus on your truck and hopefully I'm explaining things to where you can understand a bit better now... 

image.png.aaacb42d96a98bda40de1c5a3df573bc.png

• Like 1

I found some pictures of the truck parts.IMG_5282.jpg.8b8e10e3acccda705ae30a5175fd68e0.jpg

BTW, I believe the radiator emblem you have is incorrect for trucks as it's for passenger cars, I don't believe the star of David logo was used on 1929 or 1930 trucks in any capacity. It may have been used on earlier trucks than 1928 but I wouldn't know as I haven't studied those years in depth. Your friend may have been in the process of locating the best parts he could find that would work. As you can imagine with a vehicle that is nearly 100 years old, parts get lost and or replaced over time, sometimes correctly and other times incorrectly which may cause confusion.

Here is what I believe your radiator emblem should look like. As I mentioned earlier, Stakeside should post soon and will be able to possibly provide other photos for you as he has the same truck in 120" wheelbase. I believe this is the emblem he has.

Emblem is 58mm high x 57mm wide. Should be stamped on back made by FOX.

Emblems may possibly range from $25-$500 depending on condition. 
From what I've read this one came in gold plated and chrome plated.

Gold plated

image.png.0c69f2ea18021854ce81d70416195580.png

Chrome plated

image.png.38ad30d6dcd8c4b9cb8051de54dc6ab9.png

• Like 1

Also, here is a sample of what the caution plate should look like. It would have been riveted to the passenger side of your dash in the four holes you see on the dash. Note this one is for a 1 1/2 ton truck, it's only an example. 

image.jpeg.ba6cbe3e2c79567cde5c7b91a01abf88.jpeg

Another example. Note this is for a 3/4 ton and has "Dodge Brothers Inc Detroit" at the bottom while the one above says Graham Brothers at the bottom. Your build card may tell you which one you'll need but I believe it should be the one that says Dodge Brothers at the bottom. The caution plate is a very good discussion and up for debate. I'd be very interested to read other view points as this was such a confusing time. This is one of those cases that some of the parts with Graham Brothers may have made it onto Dodge Brothers trucks after the changing of the name from Graham to Dodge in Jan/Feb of 1929. Chrysler sent out instructions for parts to be replaced but some may have made it through the pipeline. Your dash with the hump on the right of the caution tag area has me scratching my head and thinking it's possible, yours may be one that they didn't catch in time. All speculation on my part but again, could lead to a very good discussion on the topic at some point. Hopefully it's somewhere in your parts inventory...

image.jpeg.b84681282d319b12c5846898bd50980a.jpeg

image.png.32c6f97057ca851064a4ddddc84ae17d.png

• Like 1

What is the difference in the models such as the IE and the DA? Body style?

Currently I'm having troubles finding any good photos or advertising showing the IE140 trucks to compare with the DA140. I believe the body style is the same as the DA140 and simply had some changes to components and badging that we've already touched on. If I or anyone else finds a good photo of a IE-140 we should be able to tell IF there was or wasn't any difference in appearance. I thought I had something..... if I find it I'll post it.

1 hour ago, ArticiferTom said:

I believe the IE 130-140 code is for early 4 cylinders . Club book said they where shortly down grades from 1-1/4 to 1 ton for 1929 Code 1 -E DA engine .

I thought that for a while too but the 130 engineering code is for the Victory Six engine. Note the heading on page 24 that you're referrencing says "Victory/Standard Six (all designated Model 130) as it then goes on to explain in the paragraph.

Also, bulletin examples showing the DET 120" that used the Victory Six (just before it became the DA6 for the 120"WB) 

image.png.38ae61bcb980febf91d1e06df61dedbf.png

And the BE130 that used the same engineering code. NOTE, even on this example of this confidential bulletin they had the 130" wb as a typo for a 150"wb which only adds to the confusion and doesn't help. BE is a 130" WB not a 150" wb

image.png.0e3c7b226ff59ad5d14a1b2667c3e410.png

All of these models highlighted on the model chart used the 130 code for Victory Six engines.

image.png.97d1b67d2fb582999edbfc962a70a573.png

2252 signified Senior engines

2249 signified earlier Senior engines

U signified the Plymouth 4 cylinder

and DB signified the DB 6 engines

124 signified the fast four (27-28) in the D series trucks. The SD was the 128 that later became the Victory Six (130) then it changed later to the 4 cylinder Merchants Express in early 1929. Clear as mud lol..

image.png.144a486cbf3ae98187a7926d5dfa71e7.png

In addition:

DA signified DA6 cylinders while the letters A through U signified the weight rating.

image.png.b35db32cbbcfae5ecfba5ab4db7f15e9.png

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of my 3/4 ton version of your truck. The color and trim are as they came from the factory in Stockton CA.

This will a great looking truck when finished. Looks like you have a great restoration in process.

If you have good pattern wood pieces they will be very helpful putting your cab together. I had to make all new wood.

I will send you a private message on this forum.

E3F1773A-9068-4153-8F42-5916A9510EF4.jpeg.824abe60f2089d0c6dc3ca5b7603ed73.jpeg

EA7D3775-2EFF-4E2B-98A4-01F6B15876C2.jpeg.4d20408673ef56c981bfcd491734264a.jpegFD2FF623-A979-42AE-8916-E231A28C72ED.jpeg.8cb8547d109dcedd0a55c01e35aeccc5.jpeg

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate the info. I’ve been off the forum since last week, we’ve been dealing with a very sick pet and have been spending a bunch of time at specialty vets- I think I may have to go back to work to write these checks. Talk with you soon

Hi Stakeside,

I read that you would send me a private message- I wasn't sure to find it. I looked under my visitor profile and tried to message you but got this message.

Your account has not yet met the minimum content item count requirement to send personal messages.
  • OK

Not sure what this means- do I need to post more to be able to message members?

Thanks,

Ed

53 minutes ago, EdStewart said:

Hi Stakeside,

I read that you would send me a private message- I wasn't sure to find it. I looked under my visitor profile and tried to message you but got this message.

Your account has not yet met the minimum content item count requirement to send personal messages.
  • OK

Thanks,

Ed

The magic number is 14 posts. Once you get to that you should be able to send and receive PMs

Here's another thread discussing it. The last reply was from Peter who is one of the main moderators for this forum:

My suggestion? 
If I was you I would start posting more photos or questions today until you get to 15 if you need to send Stakeside a message today. If you're not in any rush then post at your convenience until you get there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EdStewart said:

Hi Stakeside,

• OK

Thanks,

Ed

I received your message on Sept. 30th. 

Looking forward to your visit when available.

On 9/30/2022 at 5:43 PM, nearchoclatetown said:

Ed Stewart, if you are not confused yet you will be. Keep in mind DB/GB never made two cars or trucks alike, at least that's my story. Don't get flustered just keep asking questions. It looks to me like you have a good example to spend time with, just don't get discouraged. 

Thanks nearchoclatetown, I'm trying to gather information and locate resources to help me get this back together.

Here is the math. 20” rim plus 2 times width =20 + 5 + 5 = 30 designation as 30x5

1214950D-8B08-45B0-ACD8-DC5A98502D1B.jpeg.73d9af02012d6104481c1941f8958502.jpegNote lock ring that gives 5” width.

Some truck had the optional wide rim for bigger heavy duty rear tire. 
I believe your rear tire has the optional heavy duty tire. What is the rim width including the lock ring?

• Like 1

Hi stakeside,

So do you use a tire that is 1" wider than the rim? Did you put a 600 x 20 on your rim?

I'll have to measure it when I get back down to Oceanside. It's a strange rim with two solid rings and one split ring- how does it go together?

On 9/29/2022 at 10:32 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Welcome to the forum

IF the engine is original to the truck then it's a 1929 DA140 built in the spring of 1929, my guess would be April or May. 

The only way to know for sure is to find documents of it's history or sending for a build card to the Chrysler Museum (her contact info is listed at bottom of page). If they have the build card on file (not a guarantee) then they will look it up by the frame number (S113250) to determine the date your truck was built, that card will also verify if the engine is original to the truck. Here is an example of a build card showing a 1930 Model DA124 built on March 11, 1930 with a panel body. Note, everything you need to know about your truck is on the build cards. On this sample card you'll notice things like the letter B is prior to the wheelbase under Model (you'll also see B signified 3/4 ton on the model charts later as you read). Your build card should show C140 6cyl under Model if your truck is a 1 ton. A build card will also show (in most cases) your serial/frame #, ignition and door key #'s, engine #, axle ratio, body style under options and special equipment, what dealer it was sent to, how it was shipped, what city it was sent to, if it came with bumpers, the order number and most importantly, the date of build.

image.png.c6fe9c9cee00e2f3783ee512944bd323.png

I'm confident you'll find your engine is correct for your truck and you'll find out yours is a 1929 DA140 based on other previous build card info that we have entered into our database.

Here is a snippet example of another DA140 from our database to compare your numbers to:

Keep in mind the H in the engine code is simply a prefix code that shows the reader/mechanic it's a DA6 engine and the DA6 was used in both cars and trucks. This snippet example engine #H36593 will seem much higher than yours due to passenger car DA engines being built concurrently (in theory) thus, the cars may have absorbed some of those numbers causing the descrepancy. Meaning, while your frame number is only 889 units lower than this example of a DA140 built on 06/18/1929, your engine number is 17,723 units lower than this example engine number. My belief (again, still trying to prove this theory) is that the passenger cars absorbed those 16, 834 units (if my math is correct) hence the descrepancy between this example below and your truck numbers. Again, this is assuming your engine is original to the truck, which I believe it is based on this build card and the model chart I'm attaching. The number 9993 is simply an internal order number on the build card of this example. The order number will also substantiate the chronological order that your truck was produced. I'm guessing your order number will be around 9000 if you can secure the build card. This is probably an overload of information for now but you'll find yourself returning back to it over and over until you understand it thoroughly (which is why I'm trying to load it all on one page for you since the answers are in so many places). 

image.png.a7211f9db10a9c5a0942e2918c12ea14.png

As for the diagrams or exploded views, there really isn't much available on the mechanical side but your best bet will be to purchase a "Instruction Book" for 1929 One Ton Trucks. They are hard to find and are rare but they do come up for sale from time to time. If you don't find one at the  AACA then you'll want to check other places like eBay, Faxon Auto Lit, Troxel Auto Lit and other places continuously until you find one. Below is a photo of the cover of an Instruction Book for 3/4 ton trucks that used the DA6 engine (like yours) and the U 4 cylinder Plymouth engines. The cover will be similar to this, again this is only an example of the 3/4 ton trucks being the closest I could find. I'm also posting the side view of the engine from this same book that should show you what the contents of these books are. Note the radiator badge on the cover. I believe yours may have been a round Dodge Brothers badge just after the Graham Brothers name was being phased out from the Chrylser buyout. Some Graham Brothers badges may have made it through the pipeline so I'd be curious to know what your radiator badge looks like. Another forum member goes by the name Stakeside will probably input what the badge looks like as I believe he has the same style radiator. 

image.png.48bbc7287ddfe61d738ab860561e7905.png

34.jpg.5fe83b1cb45e67f4cfba9e8fe634b2b4.jpg

Note the manifold in this photo. Can you tell us, do you have this manifold in your parts inventory?

35.jpg.52fb6da937c535055008a65bfd56ce49.jpg

Here are the model charts that will help guide you along with the link where they can be found. 

Dodge Truck Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder (t137.com)

page13.jpg

Here's the section highlighted. Note the only other 140" wheelbase truck within the serial# range was the IE model that was a 1 1/4 ton with a Victory Six engine (Victory Six engines were signified by the number 130 in the engineering code section along with the wheelbase number). It's possible you have the IE model and the H code engine you have was a replacement. If that's the case you have a 1 1/4 ton truck, but as I said, the build card will answer that question without any doubts (assuming they have your build card on file). 

image.png.f4fa52e86d421c355b165866683244cd.png

You can reach Danielle at the Chrylser Museum directly by email. You'll possibly need to provide bill of sale or copy of title to prove ownership along with a small fee and she will reply as soon as she gets time. Keep in mind due to the pandemic they are running behind so please be patient.

I believe this is her most up to date contact information.

danielle.szostak@stellantis.com

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your findings and research. 

Lastly, consider joining the Dodge Brothers Club as we have many other Graham and Dodge Brothers truck owners that are always willing to help out.

Dodge Brothers Club

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave,

I wrote to Danielle but have not had a response. Was she at the Walter Chrysler Museum? I read that it closed. If so, suppose those build cards went elsewhere?

Thanks,

Ed

1 hour ago, EdStewart said:

Hi stakeside,

So do you use a tire that is 1" wider than the rim? Did you put a 600 x 20 on your rim?

I'll have to measure it when I get back down to Oceanside. It's a strange rim with two solid rings and one split ring- how does it go together?

Yes I have 600x20 tires. This rim and tire are correct for my 120” wheel base 3/4 ton truck. 

Will be waiting for your rim width when get a chance to measure it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdStewart said:

Hi Dave,

I wrote to Danielle but have not had a response. Was she at the Walter Chrysler Museum? I read that it closed. If so, suppose those build cards went elsewhere?

Thanks,

Ed

Museum is closed, but they still help out with build cards, just give it time. I've heard some guys waiting months (almost a year) so again, patience is a must. 

Wow, that is stunning! I've noticed the body panels are fairly rough on my truck- were they that way when new, or is it expected aging. I imagine many of these trucks lived outside in their early careers. On your and this truck was the primer built up and sanded to get the nice surface and finish, or another method?

I have the front fenders and Danny made new running boards, but I'm lacking rear fenders; the picture of the truck on the trailer on my first post shows them missing. Where would I find them, or would I need to have them made?

On 9/29/2022 at 10:05 AM, nearchoclatetown said:

Check with AACA library about parts and repair manuals. I JUST scanned a bunch of manuals for the DBC which stores it's literature there. Ask for Matt, he's familiar with our stash. BUT wait for about 2 or 3 weeks as the Hershey show is next week and they are swamped getting ready. 

Hi Nearchoclatetown,

I spoke with Amoi at the AACA Library on Monday- she sent me an email Tuesday that a volunteer hadn't found any info on 1929 DB trucks in the collection. I told her of you recommending Matt ( she mentioned you had just been in).  Suppose all DB truck literature is in the DB Club collection? I've been looking around elsewhere for a DA-140 1-ton manual but haven't had any luck.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, stakeside said:

Here are some pictures of my 3/4 ton version of your truck. The color and trim are as they came from the factory in Stockton CA.

This will a great looking truck when finished. Looks like you have a great restoration in process.

If you have good pattern wood pieces they will be very helpful putting your cab together. I had to make all new wood.

I will send you a private message on this forum.

E3F1773A-9068-4153-8F42-5916A9510EF4.jpeg.824abe60f2089d0c6dc3ca5b7603ed73.jpeg

EA7D3775-2EFF-4E2B-98A4-01F6B15876C2.jpeg.4d20408673ef56c981bfcd491734264a.jpegFD2FF623-A979-42AE-8916-E231A28C72ED.jpeg.8cb8547d109dcedd0a55c01e35aeccc5.jpeg

Hi Stakeside,

I have a few of the original ribs from the top and I believe there is an old wood back panel. Is the top covered in fabric? 

On 10/13/2022 at 9:18 AM, stakeside said:

The top has fabric per attached pictures and is available. The trick is to get fabric that is wide enough.

Also note wood in the roof.3E163833-FD5F-4824-AF4A-CC11824C8D2F.jpeg.b24264a855f4f1770363ede86892d915.jpeg71DF8773-1D8B-45CE-A073-4461AA08FF5B.jpeg.2b97e9c666e4fc27e2812c801f2937b8.jpeg2A802E9B-3442-4267-B156-70D3E53EB822.jpeg.a7da72cb060543c842f995e468edd082.jpeg

Very nice Stakeside! Did you mill those as strips, or is that a panel? This is more detail that I need to figure out- how the top meets the sides and how the back and sides join.

On 9/30/2022 at 5:49 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

BTW, I believe the radiator emblem you have is incorrect for trucks as it's for passenger cars, I don't believe the star of David logo was used on 1929 or 1930 trucks in any capacity. It may have been used on earlier trucks than 1928 but I wouldn't know as I haven't studied those years in depth. Your friend may have been in the process of locating the best parts he could find that would work. As you can imagine with a vehicle that is nearly 100 years old, parts get lost and or replaced over time, sometimes correctly and other times incorrectly which may cause confusion.

Here is what I believe your radiator emblem should look like. As I mentioned earlier, Stakeside should post soon and will be able to possibly provide other photos for you as he has the same truck in 120" wheelbase. I believe this is the emblem he has.

Emblem is 58mm high x 57mm wide. Should be stamped on back made by FOX.

Emblems may possibly range from $25-$500 depending on condition. 
From what I've read this one came in gold plated and chrome plated.

Gold plated

image.png.0c69f2ea18021854ce81d70416195580.png

Chrome plated

image.png.38ad30d6dcd8c4b9cb8051de54dc6ab9.png

I think Danny must have found a star DB emblem not knowing it was from a car. I see in the picture of the truck in my first post that the emblem was missing. Someone probably has it as a souvenir in their dresser drawer. I'd love the find the correct one.

Do you have any knowledge of the 4 rims on this truck? It appears the each wheel has a split rim, 2 solid rings and a split ring.

I think Danny must have found a star DB emblem not knowing it was from a car. I see in the picture of the truck in my first post that the emblem was missing. Someone probably has it as a souvenir in their dresser drawer. I'd love the find the correct one.

Do you have any knowledge of the 4 rims on this truck? It appears the each wheel has a split rim, 2 solid rings and a split ring.

Post more pictures of the rims. Are the front and the rear the same. Some trucks used heavy duty tires on the rear.

The wood is white oak and those strips or slats.

• Like 1