Initial valve setting instructions

Business_As_Usual

I installed the valve train and now I need to make the initial adjustment. I watched the video that Davin from Haggerty made about adjusting the valves with hydraulic lifters, and he stated it’s the same for solid lifters, such as I have on my 40’ Special 248. I also found an old post from 2011 that shows valves to adjust when you have #1 piston at TDC, then valves to adjust when you have #8 piston in the firing position. Seems a lot easier if you only have to set those two and make all the adjustments. I’m just not visualizing how it would work just setting two pistons and making all 16 valve adjustments. I screen shot the post and am including it with this post. Hope it comes out well. Appreciate any comments and explanations. Tom

6E3C9B07-94C3-4275-80DD-CCAC75BD51AA.png

I believe you guys are overthinking this process.  

Feel each rocker to find the ones no longer under tension.  Or, you can watch the valves open and close as a helper jogs the starter.  Adjust the loose ones and mark the adjusted ones with chalk as you continue to jog the engine and adjust until all rockers are marked as adjusted.  Double check with an old (beat up) feeler gage with the engine running to verify they are correctly adjusted.

• Like 1

We adjusted the valves on the 34 Series 56 yesterday while running. Phil and I were laughing as the other guys hung around and couldn't believe we would do it that way. The wrench and screwdriver were rather jumpy but we managed to do it without any problems. Unfortunately we didn't video it. Phil and I also don't wear gloves when working on the car or in our ship. The safety clean tank is the only way we can keep our hands presentable. Yup....we are old school dinosaurs!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Phil and I were laughing as the other guys hung around and couldn't believe we would do it that way

Ha - the key is the fact that there were two of you (i.e., four hands)!  ;)

Or, was the procedure more like Phil worked the wrenches and feeler gauge while Ed sipped his Crown Royal...  :P

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EmTee said:

Ha - the key is the fact that there were two of you (i.e., four hands)!  ;)

Or, was the procedure more like Phil worked the wrenches and feeler gauge while Ed sipped his Crown Royal...  :P

Both sober......I was on the wrenches.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1