Engine

herman de boer

Does the corrosion affect the bolt threads or the threads in the block? If the bolt, a new bolt will fix it. If the block you may need to install a threaded insert or Helicoil.

Unless you mean the bolt hole was full of corrosion? In that case you need to clean it out and clean the threads with a thread chaser.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Does the corrosion affect the bolt threads or the threads in the block? If the bolt, a new bolt will fix it. If the block you may need to install a threaded insert or Helicoil.

Unless you mean the bolt hole was full of corrosion? In that case you need to clean it out and clean the threads with a thread chaser.

Thanks for the update

I will try first a longer bolt and clean the thread

Herman 

Be careful. Bolt length is often critical. There may be a water passage under the bolt hole. Too long a bolt may crack that causing a serious leak. Check bolt length and depth of the hole first. If the bolt you are using is too long perhaps you have mixed them up and used the correct bolt in another location. I have seen different lengths used depending on the vehicle.

Terry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, herman de boer said:

Thanks for the update

I will try first a longer bolt and clean the thread

Herman 

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Be careful. Bolt length is often critical. There may be a water passage under the bolt hole. Too long a bolt may crack that causing a serious leak. Check bolt length and depth of the hole first. If the bolt you are using is too long perhaps you have mixed them up and used the correct bolt in another location. I have seen different lengths used depending on the vehicle.

Terry

Yes I understand that

I will clean the hole with a thread chaser and with a little bit longer bolt

It's very strange to me that there is a cooling liquid under the bolts in the engine block

I thought that's not normal anymore this days in the cars

I don't know what kind of coolant they used in that day's

Herman