Hubcap wrench raised letters "Wolverine." Is this an OEM tool?

lump

Many years ago I inherited automotive parts, tools, and equipment after a tragic accident took my family. So there was no chance for my Dad to pass on any knowledge he had about most items in his garage. I'm digging stuff out now, trying to label things with relevant info and in some cases, arrange to get items to someone who may be the next "caretaker" for them. Thus, I hope you'll all humor me by trying to help me ID items. 

In the bottom of a metal box full of hub pullers I found two old "hubcap wrenches." One of them unmarked, with a hexagon boxed end 2-1/8", and an open end at 1.5". But the other has raised cast letters "WOLVERINE." So I wonder if "Wolverine" represents the REO-derivative automobile, and therefore this might be a factory-supplied "Tool Kit" item. Or perhaps the Wolverine name applies to a tool manufacturer? The big end is about 2-9/16" and the other is 2". 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. 

Wolverine wrench 1 Lo Rez.jpg

Wolverine wrench 2 Lo Rez.jpg

I can't help with the Wolverine. And I am not sure I can be much help with the other one? However, it looks very much like the original hubcap wrench I had years ago for the 1925 Studebaker standard coach I used to have. The box end fit the hub caps, but I am not certain what the open end fit. Probably the wheel bearings?

Some Studebaker hubcap wrenches had the Studebaker name on them. But a Studebaker expert I knew told me many of them did not have the name on them, and that mine was typical of many Studebaker wrenches.

Ones with the Studebaker name are much harder to find, and more desirable. Read that as more expensive. It may be that a few other cars used the same wrench, and the tool makers made a lot more of the no name wrenches simply because they could go out to anyone else as well as Studebaker?

They fit most Studebaker models across several years of the mid 1920s, for wooden spoke and some steel disc wheels. They did not fit wire wheel models, although during the years that wrench was used, few Studebakers had wire wheels.

I was hoping I still had one of those wrenches, hoping to confirm the sizes. But I just looked where I keep that type of wrenches, and didn't find that one. I had two of them years ago, one went with the car when I sold it. Not sure what happened to the other one. It may have been in the tool box of hub pullers that I gifted to a good friend many years ago. 

Saddened to hear how you lost your dad (others?). Sometimes it can be really difficult dealing with their things. Even years later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I can't help with the Wolverine. And I am not sure I can be much help with the other one? However, it looks very much like the original hubcap wrench I had years ago for the 1925 Studebaker standard coach I used to have. The box end fit the hub caps, but I am not certain what the open end fit. Probably the wheel bearings?

Some Studebaker hubcap wrenches had the Studebaker name on them. But a Studebaker expert I knew told me many of them did not have the name on them, and that mine was typical of many Studebaker wrenches.

Ones with the Studebaker name are much harder to find, and more desirable. Read that as more expensive. It may be that a few other cars used the same wrench, and the tool makers made a lot more of the no name wrenches simply because they could go out to anyone else as well as Studebaker?

They fit most Studebaker models across several years of the mid 1920s, for wooden spoke and some steel disc wheels. They did not fit wire wheel models, although during the years that wrench was used, few Studebakers had wire wheels.

I was hoping I still had one of those wrenches, hoping to confirm the sizes. But I just looked where I keep that type of wrenches, and didn't find that one. I had two of them years ago, one went with the car when I sold it. Not sure what happened to the other one. It may have been in the tool box of hub pullers that I gifted to a good friend many years ago. 

Saddened to hear how you lost your dad (others?). Sometimes it can be really difficult dealing with their things. Even years later.

Thanks, Wayne. Much appreciated. 

According to the "Encyclopedia of Motor Cars" there were two Wolverine automobiles made. One was in Detroit from 1904 thru 1906 and one in Kalamazoo MI. from 1917 thru 1920. Very few car's were made and it's a toss up wether your wrench is from one of those cars or something else. Might be a very rare piece.

• Like 1