1918 Canadian McLaughlin-Buick phaeton - no start

SuperHoser

Hello all,

An old fellow I know has a 1918 Mclaughlin-Buick with exposed rocker Buick 4cyl, and it doesn't have spark. He says it ran three years ago, but I don't know if might have been much longer than that.
I've not dealt with magneto ignition before, so any tips on diagnosing lack of spark would be apprecited.

Thanks, David.

1918 McLaughlin-Buick Horst.jpg

Start by confirming power to the coil. It is on top of the starter/generator. Is it the original coil? a picture of the right side would be good. The condenser is built in to the bottom of the coil. If power check the points. in the distributor. Careful with the cap, rare and expensive. The points must be clean and open and close properly without sticking.  that's a start.  If it is a modern coil then there must be a condenser separate in the system. Please post a picture so we know what we are looking at. 

• Like 2

Ok, thank you all; a picture of the other side of the engine will have to wait until next Monday, when I go to see him next.
The owner's eighty-four, and his right arm doesn't work anymore due to a stroke. He wants this car running again, so I'll give it a shot. I have a decent amount of mechanical experience.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SuperHoser said:

Ok, thank you all; a picture of the other side of the engine will have to wait until next Monday, when I go to see him next.
The owner's eighty-four, and his right arm doesn't work anymore due to a stroke. He wants this car running again, so I'll give it a shot. I have a decent amount of mechanical experience.

Specifically, where are you located?  There are a lot of us around North America and other places that might be able to help you in person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperHoser said:

DonMicheletti, can that resistor be replaced seperately?

The resistor is external and can be repaired/replaced if necessary.  Here's one repair. 😁

20200721_211249 - Copy.jpg

• Like 2