1914 Maxwell oil level

Durk Miedema

Hello all

I have a question regarding the oil level in my 1914 Maxwell model 25.

It has no oil pump. Or at least no pressurised oil system. It only uses a small feed pump to pump oil to the camshaft sprocket. The rods and crankshaft have to be lubricated by splashing oil.

But how much oil should be in the pan? On the pan are two drain taps. Both are below the plate in the oil pan. You can see those in the pictures. In my opinion oil has to be on top of this plate so the rods can pick it up.

There is also no dipstick. And I do not have a manual stating how much oil should go in the pan.

Anny words of advice?

IMAG1708.jpg

IMAG1709.jpg

IMAG1443.jpg

Durk,

The owner's manual for this car says:  "Open the top pet cock in crank case.   Pour oil in filler on top of timing gear cover just back of fan until oil runs out of the opened pet cock." 

Here is how I think it works: As you say, the 'valleys' in the upper tray should be full of oil.  These become filled as you pour oil through the filler tube.  Once the upper tray is filled, the oil drains into the lower pan through the round holes on the right.  As the engine runs, oil pumped into the upper part of the engine by the oil pump will eventually drain back down into the upper tray, keeping it re-charged with oil.  It is important to fill the lower pan up to the top petcock to ensure that the intake to the oil pump is submerged. 

-Andrew

Akstraw has it correct. If you want to check the oil, open the lower valve. If oil drips out you have "enough." The drain plug is underneath the pan. I suggest you always top it off before you use it. These old brass era cars leak more oil then they consume.

On my cars with the same set up,  I would open the top petcock and if oil does not come out, I would add some oil until it comes out. I check it regularly.  It is better to have the top side amount of oil for operation than trust the low end.  I will always error on the high side.

As a friend of mine told me that his father always told him, "son, oil is cheap, engines are not"