Garage flooring success

On 7/6/2024 at 9:54 AM, EmTee said:

The oil loosened the epoxy?  Was the epoxy still fresh, or was the oil on the concrete under the epoxy?

The concrete was new (house had just been built 2016) and the concrete was a couple of weeks old, fresh, clean, and just needed sweeping. After finishing the coating I let it cure for a week and then started putting things in the garage. I kept the '38 Chevy pickup backed in and after about three years I noticed some loosening and flaking of the epoxy. The differential cover plate gasket had leaked and I was slow to replace it, I put a drip pan there. The lube in it is 80 or 90W mineral oil, the old type which I got from NAPA. Maybe the metal drip pan (2'X3') sitting over top of the mineral oil caused some type of reaction with the epoxy.

About an hour ago I checked the Home Depot website and found they have a small gray epoxy kit for $99.95, says for a 1 car garage, so I figure I'll get that and do a repair over the loose and flaking area; another project!

• Like 1

Could be it, I'm not sure how long the garage floor had been poured, I think about 2 weeks, so maybe the reason. There's only one area where the coating flaked or loosened up, and that was where the rear axle was. I would wipe up the leaked out fluid, so maybe there was some residue remaining, and usually for the winter months the truck was up on jack stands with the metal drip pan under the differential area. So I'm going to patch up that area in the near future, so I'll see what happens and post the results. Overall I'm satisfied with the coating and how it has held up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

53874679248_f8ab91c31a_c.jpg20240722_100556 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr53874849495_4465ceb93c_c.jpg20240722_100609 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

For those on a budget, this porch and floor paint does a great job. Although this is a side porch and not a garage, it was last painted about 12 years ago. We did a recoat today to freshen things up a bit. Dad did his garage floor many years ago and its just now starting to show its age. Of course in a garage you will want to put some runners down for the tires. This stuff comes in a variety of colours and is easily touched up. A whole lot less than even diy epoxy kits.

• Like 3