Garage flooring success

I am exploring options for a cement garage floor. I painted a floor with a Home Depot recommended paint. That looked good for a couple of months and then peeled.

I am looking for recommendations and flooring success stories. Thanks 

On my 3rd shop and I clean up spills but figure the stains give it character. Second shop the mason recommended a sealer to be put on soon after it dried, which I did, not sure if it did anything but it was clear and didn't stop stains.

PS: if you really want nice floor and willing to spend the money look into Terrazzo flooring. Two friends put it on their shop floors. Looked great and as far as I know it has held up well. Not cheap.

Edited by Jim Bollman (see edit history)

The Epoxy I have had on my shop floor for 18 years, I cannot recommend, because the company went out of business. It was called Ryzel. After 10 years, a few of the areas that I gouged started peeling. Keep in mind though that my shop gets much more abuse than one of a hobbyist, as this is a business. The owner was an older gentleman & I have a feeling he probably passed. After seeing the floors of two of my customers that used the Epoxy from Gratiot, I bought $1100.00 worth to do the addition on my building 3 years ago, but because of my transporting schedule, it is all sitting in my mixing room waiting to be put down!😁

There is a big difference between the stuff Home Depot recommends or Rustoleum floor paint & good quality 2 Part Epoxy with Clear! If you have the funds, you can have a company come in, pour & spread smooth a very thick Epoxy coating that will last forever. I watched it being applied to the floor of a body shop where I was delivering to one time. It was very thick & flowed out very well. At the time (15 years or so ago) it was $6000.00 for my 40X88 (before the addition) shop.

Just like anything else....Surface preparation is the key!  Cleaning & Acid Etching the concrete properly is the most important thing.

God bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Edited by Bills Auto Works (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eight years ago I coated my new floor with two part Epoxy Coat.  Commercial estimate was $ 4 per sq ft at that time.  My cost was about $0.50 per sq ft.  It has held up well except for one small area where brake fluid leaked on it.  Look at the Garage Journal Forum for current information.

• 3 weeks later...

Six years ago I had a new house built, stretched the 2 car garage a little, to where it is 500 square feet. The previous house, built in 2004, had a two car garage and before moving into the garage I clear coated the floor with something from Lowe's or Home Depot. It worked okay as the clear coat helps to keep the dust down as cement seems to continue to dry out and create dust which affects the cars and tracks into the house; lived there 12 years and the clear coat held up okay but was giving up. So back to the current house and garage floor. I wanted something better than clear coat so I bought the DIY epoxy kits from Home Depot. I bought 3 kits which was plenty for 500 square feet. The cement was new, it had cured a few weeks, so I swept the floor and proceeded to put down the gray epoxy covering, I also sprinkled the "fairy dust" which is to help create a skid resistant texture. I do some work in the garage, brake jobs, oil changes, and so on, but the garage is mainly for two garage queen vehicles. So far the covering has held up very well, I do mop it sometimes, but overall it has done an excellent job and it keeps the cement dust down to zero. Also there are two rows of cement blocks around the bottom of the walls, I painted them with two coats of cement paint and that has held up perfectly, also keeping the dust in check. The garage is also insulated, drywalled and painted, and a "split system" for cooling and heating. NOW, for a home garage I recommend these epoxy kits (not for a business) as I mentioned but if you are going to do it yourself okay, but have someone help you mix the epoxy and use a brush for edging and to move the mixed epoxy along as it cures quickly. I waited at least 5 days or so before moving my things and cars into the garage. I did my floor by myself, wore me out, but overall it came out pretty good and is holding up great after six years.

• Like 1

I carpeted my garage floor with a short pile carpet.

A good vacuuming every once in a while keeps the sand out.

Eventually oil would creep up. so a good scrubbing is in order.

I finally had to replace it as my back would get dirty from the oil that would not all come out.

The advantage of carpet is first, it is great for kneeling on and laying down without a creeper. Second, it tremendously quiets the shop. Third it is nice and warm on your back.

I sand bondo, weld and change parts on it all the time.

Used carpet is not hard to fine for replacement.

👍

• Like 1

I used sherwin Williams 2 part industrial epoxy with 2 coats of Rexthane clear coat. Nothing touches it . Hot tires , oil, gas, whatever else you can think of. Did it  9years ago and still looks brand new . I worked with my local sherwin Williams salesman and he really steered me in the right direction 

10 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

I carpeted my garage floor with a short pile carpet.

A good vacuuming every once in a while keeps the sand out.

Eventually oil would creep up. so a good scrubbing is in order.

I finally had to replace it as my back would get dirty from the oil that would not all come out.

The advantage of carpet is first, it is great for kneeling on and laying down without a creeper. Second, it tremendously quiets the shop. Third it is nice and warm on your back.

I sand bondo, weld and change parts on it all the time.

Used carpet is not hard to fine for replacement.

👍

I did the same in my shop near Flint.  It is a lot warmer in the winter too.