Antique trunk

ssl78

Possibly both. Chrysler Corporation used identical bodies for several of its makes , 1932 Plymouth PB and DeSoto conv sedan bodies are the same. So that application would have used the same trunk. This trunk was made to contour the rear of a car body ( not coupe or conv coupe, roadster) when the styling of cars started to see the bodies flow into the fenders .

• Like 1

Usually Walt asks this! Dimensions please LWH! Since trunks were usually mated to a complimentary rack, dimensions of trunk base will suggest rack and therefore make it may have been on if someone has a rack of same dimensions. Clearly this trunk is for a sedan, due to it's curved back and overall height. Potter made trunks for Chevrolet beginning n 1932.

To me it looks like one of those accessory trunks that sat on a big apron covering most of the lower back section of the body. I have seen Potter brand trunks with aprons for 34 Fords that had a cutout for the spare carrier arm. Many had a cutout for the gas filler. A company called Galaxy also made them. Many of the trunks survived,not so many aprons.

When I was working on my 31 Essex, I bought a trunk. I was asked just what I was going to do with it. I said, I'm putting it om my Essex.

They said it would look stupid on a car.

I said, did you ever hear of a "trunk" on a car? Where did you think the term came from?   😮

• Like 1