1931 Lasalle 345A starving for fuel at certain times while driving.

RVMC

Hi, I have a 1931 Lasalle 345a, it will run good for a bit and then run like crap when I shift into 3rd gear, almost sounds as she is not getting fuel, there are times in which I will take her out for a drive with no problems, I find myself comforting her before taking her out for a drive now.🤨

First question: What are you using to move the fuel?  Vacuum tank? electric pump? Or did Cad use a mechanical pump for 1931? (not exactly sure when they began the mechanical pump) 

Second question: are you operating the original carburation? or have there been modifications? 

19 hours ago, m-mman said:

First question: What are you using to move the fuel?  Vacuum tank? electric pump? Or did Cad use a mechanical pump for 1931? (not exactly sure when they began the mechanical pump) 

Second question: are you operating the original carburation? or have there been modifications? 

Hi m-mman, it has a aftermarket electric fuel pump installed.

Electric fuel pump is a terrible idea, unsafe, and impossible to make work(read run correctly.) That said, it could be a bunch of issues particular to that carburetor and distributor. I’m betting it has wrong parts in the internals. As a matter of fact, it is almost 100 percent certain.  Unless returned to100 percent stock, the odds of it running well are almost zero. 

On 7/16/2022 at 10:40 PM, edinmass said:

Electric fuel pump is a terrible idea, unsafe, and impossible to make work(read run correctly.) That said, it could be a bunch of issues particular to that carburetor and distributor. I’m betting it has wrong parts in the internals. As a matter of fact, it is almost 100 percent certain.  Unless returned to100 percent stock, the odds of it running well are almost zero. 

Hi Ed, it is all original except for the electric fuel pump, I have never had issues with it before, but I did notice it happens when the engine temp is running higher or the car is running for a longer period of time, I took it out for a ride last Sunday, I drove for over an hour before it started acting up and it was a hot day, it was about 90 degrees outside.