is this a Series 72 chassis

The following pictures of a frame plus some sheet metal is being advertised in Norway from an estate. Am I correct to assume the chassis is Series 72 and the sheet-metal might be slightly older, or is everything pre-28? Note external contracting brakes and tube front axle.

1781495842_28ChryvrakHalden2206-rraksel.jpg.30681f4deed981a92d115054786808ac.jpg1315360334_28ChryvrakHalden2206-MarthiasHolm.jpg.d9f65ea50cdff9f4e44dc14280bada3f.jpg1786147740_28ChryvrakHalden2206(2).jpg.938d9092a23140be46abc668e14949e7.jpg1523549268_28ChryvrakHalden2206.jpg.a311212a00a8c17acebdf978ad5642fb.jpg

Hi Narve N

the Chassis does look very similar to my 72 chassis as you would know an engine number may help confirm unless of course the engine has been replaced at some stage. I see the head that is with it was a red head head but a shame about the piece missing out of it where the thermostat housing bolts on. 
as for the sheet metal, the Cowl and doors look similar to what is on my 72 Coupe but could be from a sedan. The front gaurds that I can see actually look a bit later to me as I cannot see any bead lines on them. If you want I can take some photos of my chassis later when it’s daylight. 
That chassis etc would make great spare parts or a fun speedster/special.

Cheers Ben

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vintageben said:

I see the head that is with it was a red head head but a shame about the piece missing out of it where the thermostat housing bolts on. 

Well spotted, I never did check the text on the head. Maybe the missing thermostat housing piece is laying somewhere and can be glued back? I have asked for an engine number to confirm Series 72, but got no response so far. The car was told to be a Roadster, but none of the sheet metal present fits a Roadster to my understanding. Maybe I will have to visit the site in the week-end to hunt for more parts?

5 minutes ago, Narve N said:

Well spotted, I never did check the text on the head. Maybe the missing thermostat housing piece is laying somewhere and can be glued back? I have asked for an engine number to confirm Series 72, but got no response so far. The car was told to be a Roadster, but none of the sheet metal present fits a Roadster to my understanding. Maybe I will have to visit the site in the week-end to hunt for more parts?

Yeah if I lived close to it I would definitely be going and having a good look about. I agree I cannot see any roadster panel’s either

Hi Narve,

Looks OK for a Series 72, noticed the Red Head first before noticing the damage to the thermostat housing, hope you find the missing piece as it should be a easy fix.

Agree with you about it not being a Roadster looking at he doors you possibly have a Coupe, if you get to have a better look the engine number should be in the same place as a model 65 so take a wire brush with you, good luck.

Here's a link to a Series 72 Chassis at a local museum near me in Sydney, you might find it interesting.

https://collection.maas.museum/object/214116 

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I have now secured the remains of what is likely a Series 72 Roadster (standard equipped with Red Head as far as I can understand). The bodywork was reportedly stored somewhere else and nobody knows where that might be, but maybe it will turn up later? The blue colored body parts was first identified as being from a rare 1929 Pontiac Landaulet, then a Pontiac owner believed they were from a slightly older GM product. I anyhow left them behind, but managed to pass on a free second Series 72 frame and front axle to a friend of mine.

I will repair the Red Head water neck with parts from a Series 75 engine I myself buried in my mothers yard back in 1992, likely using cast iron welding or brazing for this non-stressed part of the head. Then the head will be tested on a Series 75 Dual Cowl Phaeton my friend is restoring, to investigate into whether the advertised extra hp is noticeable.

1142125719_220924HenteS72chassisiHalden(10).jpg.7bc8bbf600722e32512418953c8e2961.jpg

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)