Singer Industrial Sewing Machines - FS

That 111 is a bargain.  High quality and well regarded.  It is a needle feed, meaning the needle itself "walks" (which helps pull the fabric), as well as the feed dogs in the bed are pulling the material from below, too. 

My old Singer 16-141 Industrial does not have the needle feed, it's a walking foot, but still does what I need on car stuff.  

here is a good YT video on a 111 with all the info you need to know.  In the video you can see that it's not a walking foot, it's a walking needle/AKA needle feed.   Very impressive when the guy sews foam, mine likely would have had the foot dig into the soft stuff like that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, usnavystgc said:

Are the motors internal or do they require a servomotor?

You need a standard table and motor assembly. They come with legs/feet, drawer, lamp, knee lift, and some kind of motor. A table with a hole (and maybe the hinges) for a Consew 206RB, 225, 226, etc. will fit. In fact, the design of those Consew machines is heavily based on the 111-W, the 225 being an almost exact copy. A bunch of other brands are also close copies and fit the same hole. The 206RB-5 is still in production in China, and last time I looked was all over Ebay. If you get a table and motor for a 206RB, the 111-W should drop right in. Presser feet, bobbins, and other accessories for this 111-W interchange with several other machines, including some of the Consews, and are readily available. Original motor for this machine would have been a clutch motor. Servo motors have become common, but I have never had one.

I don't recommend a clutch motor even though I still use one. Clutch motor operation is an acquired skill that does not come particularly quickly. Clutch motors also come in 2 different RPM, 1725(?) and 3450(?). The pulley can also be changed. NEVER get the faster motor for upholstery and auto trim work, always the slower one. If pulley options are available, get the smallest (slowest) one. You don't need to know any of this unless you are looking at used stuff. Get the servo motor instead. The whole reason they exist is they are easier to control.

1 hour ago, F&J said:

That 111 is a bargain.  High quality and well regarded.  It is a needle feed, meaning the needle itself "walks" (which helps pull the fabric), as well as the feed dogs in the bed are pulling the material from below, too.

I agree, and I am tempted but it is a long way away and I don't need it. They call that "Triple Feed" now, a term I don't recall hearing when I was doing auto trim work in the early 80s. This is definitely the type of feed you want for automotive work.

1 hour ago, F&J said:

My old Singer 16-141 Industrial does not have the needle feed, it's a walking foot, but still does what I need on car stuff.  

Looking at these 31-19, I suspect that's what they do too, walk but don't feed the needle. I have no experience with them.

I started out initially on a 31-15 with no walking foot at all. I definitely do NOT recommend that unless someone is looking to spend hours and hours practicing to acquire a lifelong skill. The guy who taught me said "If you can get good results on this, you can sew on anything". He was right. If someone wants to just do a little car work now and then, this is not the way.

• Like 1