1930 Lincoln Adventure Started Today

I think I know that car from literally 60 years ago.  Most recent owner I know of was Peter M, previously my good friend Ed L (fatal heart attack way too young in 1988), and Barry L (died of cancer ca. 1974, also way too young).  Barry called it "Old Abe," and dispensed champagne from the trunk at local concours.

Edited by Grimy
fix typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, Grimy said:

I think I know that car from literally 60 years ago.  Most recent owner I know of was Peter M, previously my good friend Ed L (fatal heart attack way too young in 1988), and Barry L (died of cancer ca. 1974, also way too young).  Barry called it "Old Abe," and dispensed champagne from the trunk at local concours.

You win the prize!  Peter Mintun verified the ownership history.  Peter sold to Steve Roake in 2001.  Steve willed the car to Ray Menefee in 2011 and I just purchased it from Ray who is in great shape at 88.  Engine was rebuilt at some point and runs great.  High speed gears installed in the rear end.  Mostly original upholstery and paint.  Very complete original car, but it is missing the interior sun visors.  The tell tale mounting screw holes are visible and a faint outline of the visors against the headliner.  Any leads on replacement visors appreciated.  

I'd forgotten that Steve owned the car, and didn't know where it went after his untimely passing, which occurred three weeks after we were on a CARavan together.  I drove two of Steve's cars to his memorial service.  I also know Ray but haven't seen him since he moved out of California.

A correction:  The first owner I knew was Barry Randell (with an R).  At the old Hillsborough Concours on the school grounds, the opened trunk contained a silver ice bucket holding one bottle (of a case in the back seat floor) of champagne which he would pour for friends.

I had an abbreviated email conversation with Peter five or more years ago which was interrupted when I had urgent family business to attend to.  Please tell him I'd like to catch up some time--but not for another month.

Whereabouts are you, Charles?

I am located in Eureka, CA in redwood country.  Here is Peter Mintun's ownership history list:  

1930 Lincoln 183 4-door sedan, Originally sold at Edward Lowe Motors, San Francisco.
1931 Unknown original buyer
19__ Unknown man in Woodside who occasionally pulled a trailer with it
1960 C. Barry Randell $550.
1973 Jack Passey $5,500
1974? Mr. Kiensicki (Walnut Creek) $6,500
19__ Robert Myers (Walnut Creek)
1988 Edward Linotti (Grass Valley) $23,000 (?)
2001 Stephen Roake $27,000 (?)
2011 Ray Menefee - gift.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a member of the LOC since 1996 and also own a 1937 Lincoln two window Judkins Berline and a 1947 Lincoln Continental.  Just always wanted a Model L and this one came along at the right time. Currently sorting out the vacuum tank on the 1930.  

• Like 2

A truly beautiful car - and appears to be in beautiful shape. Congratulations on being the new owner.

It is interesting to see priming cups on the engine of a 1930's car. Were there any other cars that modern that had priming cups?

Phil

• Like 1

This was the last year that Lincoln had priming cups.  They were much more common from the brass era into the early 20s.  The quality of gasoline was so much better by the late 1920s that they were no longer needed.  All Lincoln L Models from 1920 through 1930 had them. 

1 hour ago, charlespetty said:

This was the last year that Lincoln had priming cups.  They were much more common from the brass era into the early 20s.  The quality of gasoline was so much better by the late 1920s that they were no longer needed.  All Lincoln L Models from 1920 through 1930 had them. 

The introduction of downdraft carbs had a lot to do with the decision to abandon priming cups, as well.  Pierce's last priming cup year was 1928, although their use of updraft carbs lasted through 1932 on the 8s.

• Like 1