23 Ignition switch. and need to get a new key blank [ but where ]

cutdown

I removed the switch from the Dodge yesterday and managed to free it up but it would not pass any current.  Could not get it apart so had to bend the 3 tags away to let the pins pass when unscrewing it. I worked out how it was supposed to operate then went about cleaning all the contacts. That got it working so lubed them with so silicone grease. I stripped the whole mechanism for the mag short out and made a key blank [ after removing the 9 brass interlocks for later work ]  then had to make a key blank to test the operation. It appears the mag can only be shorted out if the key contacts the revolving cut out disc.  I have rebuilt the switch temporarily just to get things going, and will add a bypass so that the key does not have to be the main contact when stopping the engine.  Looks like I will need to order a key blank. Would anyone know where I could get one.

Hi Derek,

I believe you are referring to the clum ignition / light swtich.

If you type “Clum Key” into the Ebay.com site there are blanks for sale right now however I have been unable to find a locksmith here in OZ who can cut one of these.

Also for sale are keys with numbers but not the complete range, your switch should have the key number stamped on the front, eg DB96, if it is there then you may find a match on ebay.

Alternatively you could contact Myers in the US, they have a small selection, you might be lucky.

• Like 1

Here is a blank available now on ebay.com.

0293B658-3F0B-46BE-97C8-CB9B09D68989.jpeg.606e13e48f72df7378cfbba814792184.jpeg

Here is an example of the key number stamped on the tumbler.

08DCA6CF-5DE6-4CF7-A582-A13002F01351.jpeg.e989cc6ec7c91276b22d5c2ac7e16779.jpeg

As you can see the key is a unique shape. I understand there are some in the US who can still cut these but post there and back will kill any deal.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I dreamed about that switch last night.  I didn't mention that one of the springs on the head lamp rotator was missing.  I realized last night, that there ought to have been a spring under the mag cut out rotator as well. That would spring load the rotator against the contacts and also earth them out as well. That's why they would only earth out yesterday when the key was right in.

I also thought about how I could shape my dummy key to work with the detents. Very simple in this case.

Thanks for the info on the keys you guys. I have at least a month now till I get the engine back so I can concentrate on the upholstery now.

Looking at my lock again, I can't tell what the number is. Doesn't matter anyway as I have mixed up the tumblers now. Bugger.

Edited by cutdown (see edit history)

If they are the plate type, when you get the key, you might be able to line them up on the key and move around till they all line up if you can figure out the number. 

When I got my new key, because the one I had (and lost) would not stay in the slot and was the wrong number, would fall out. Took the switch apart for service, found out why the key would not stay in, no tumblers! Flat blade screwdriver works great and no expensive key to lose. LOL

• Like 1

They are expensive keys. I spent a lot of time making the key blank that I might as well finish the job, now i know exactly what to do with this lock. Very hard to tell what the number is but it may be DB78 or possible DB18

• Like 1

All finished. Made 2 keys from my dummy switch.   All good now  There was only 1 screw left with the switch. 5/32" x 32 TPI.  I had a few longer ones around so shortened them to the right size.  Funny though. My screws are a slightly looser fit in the switch than the supposedly original screw,  Never mind, they don't need to be fastened that tight.

• Thanks 1