Trivia for Corvair and rock fans

AXS-TV has a clip called  "Insider" where they interview rock musicians on "firsts" in their lives.

Today was Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult. This revolutionary guitar slinger's first car was an equally revolutionary 1961 Corvair. And had he not gone into music, he'd have had a career in chemical engineering- which also kinda fits with the Corvair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess the LITB bunch just thought they were heaps, but I think Lumpy Rutherford had a decent 1939 or 40 Ford convertible.

Seems like the Cleavers' first season car was a 1957 Fairlane (not 500) sedan, and after that they had a series of Chrysler products.

Gotta give it to Ford and Chrysler- they saw the value of product placement in television early on.

57 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Guess the LITB bunch just thought they were heaps, but I think Lumpy Rutherford had a decent 1939 or 40 Ford convertible.

Seems like the Cleavers' first season car was a 1957 Fairlane (not 500) sedan, and after that they had a series of Chrysler products.

Gotta give it to Ford and Chrysler- they saw the value of product placement in television early on.

Well Lumpy had a decent 40 FORD until Wally and Eddie took Ward Cleavers tow chain and hooked the chain to a tree, When Lumpy drove away the axel and torque tube assy stayed in Freds driveway.

Watch Leave It to Beaver Online - Full Episodes - All Seasons - YidioBest Episodes of Leave It To Beaver | List of Top Leave It To Beaver  EpisodesKIP'S AMERICAN GRAFFITI BLOG: YANKING YOUR CHAIN

That episode "Wallys practical joke" probably inspired this;

KIP'S AMERICAN GRAFFITI BLOG: YANKING YOUR CHAIN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Yes, the Cleavers had a Fairlane 2 dr. and also a 4 dr.- depends on the episode. Fred Rutherford had a 2 dr. Fairlane 500. Later Fred has a 58 Fairlane 500 4 dr.

IMCDb.org: 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria in "Leave It to Beaver, 1957 -1963"Ward driving

Here we see Ward in a 57 4 dr.image.jpeg.c58d3e902e8b7f667b949223f55bcc6f.jpegand the same car in the garage with the kids;

image.jpeg.fcc53290bebda99e21221287e868daae.jpeg

Here is Fred bailing out of a 58 Fairlane 4 dr. HT.

image.jpeg.c8ad2699ce7ade292bca648da479cebb.jpeg

Wallys second car;image.jpeg.b420449dc6126b7a52c926156864c28f.jpegimage.jpeg.fe902fb019a76de05b254f88dc2a518c.jpeg53 chev.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

Tony Dow's first car was a Corvair coupe that he bought when he was 16.  Decades after he sold it, the last owner willed it to him when he died.

Tony Dow on life beyond "Leave It to Beaver" - CBS News

I'm glad you provided that link. I saw a shortened version of the part about the Corvair. I'm also glad Tony Dow finally came to the positive conclusion about that part of his life and has embraced the good things about the experience whereas other child/teenage actors let the negative factors drive them nuts. 

Thanks Jim 

• Like 1

The producers didn't think us car enthusiasts would notice the difference between a '57 Ford 2-door hardtop and a 4-door sedan?  I usually watch it M-F while eating breakfast and drinking my coffee.  As posted earlier, Wally's first car was a '36 Ford, but it didn't run and was parted out and picked up by the local junkyard owner.  He then had a beat up '53 Bel Air convertible, while Eddie had a '40 Chevy 4-door and Lumpy had a '40 Ford convertible.  Those old cars were plentiful back then. 

Perry Mason had a lot of cars over the years.  In its first season, Perry drove a '57 Skyliner and a '57 Cadillac.   Paul Drake had the latest Thunderbird convertible.  Buicks were often driven by main characters in the episodes for some reason. 

• Like 1

Interesting about Tony Dow and the Corvair.  I heard an interview with Frank Bank (lumpy) and he said he took his acting money at the time and bought a new Eldorado. Said he was the king, being a teenager cruising hollywood in a car like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The producers didn't think us car enthusiasts would notice the difference between a '57 Ford 2-door hardtop and a 4-door sedan?  I usually watch it M-F while eating breakfast and drinking my coffee.  As posted earlier, Wally's first car was a '36 Ford, but it didn't run and was parted out and picked up by the local junkyard owner.  He then had a beat up '53 Bel Air convertible, while Eddie had a '40 Chevy 4-door and Lumpy had a '40 Ford convertible.  Those old cars were plentiful back then. 

Perry Mason had a lot of cars over the years.  In its first season, Perry drove a '57 Skyliner and a '57 Cadillac.   Paul Drake had the latest Thunderbird convertible.  Buicks were often driven by main characters in the episodes for some reason. 

Gee Jim, I thought I was the only guy who watches Leave it to Beaver in the morning over Breakfast! Today Ward was driving a 57 FORD Fairlane 500 Hardtop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Interesting about Tony Dow and the Corvair.  I heard an interview with Frank Bank (lumpy) and he said he took his acting money at the time and bought a new Eldorado. Said he was the king, being a teenager cruising hollywood in a car like that.

Wonder what H/S Dow went to? I've got a couple of friends that went to school with a bunch of those child and grown-up actors and entertainers like Ryan O'Neal, Nancy Sinatra, Ricky Nelson etc.   

• Like 1