A couple parts needed for '32 Buick Model 86

32BuickVicky

So, after some advice from members, I am redoing the entire fuel system.  Sending the tank to the Gas Tank Renu guys to have it redone but tried EVERYTHING to get the straps off.....heat, penetrating oils....nothing worked to get the bolts holding the straps off....it's like the nuts were fused to the bolts.....worked on them for nearly 2 hours before deciding we were going to have to cut the straps.  So, I need straps for a '32 Buick Model 86 - otherwise, I'll have to get a fabricator to remake them and the j-hook bolts.  If anyone has a set, I'd love to grab them.

Also decided to get the fuel gauge inside working so I'm also looking for the sending unit (pics attached) or a comparable aftermarket alternative.

Plan now is to blow out the existing fuel line and replace the refurb tank.  I took off the fuel pump, have ordered a new one that will be mounted right at the tank, took off the crappy fuel pressure regulator and pressure gauge and have ordered the recommended replacements through Summit racing.  Also taking apart the carb to clean and stop the leak.  All of this should stop our issues.  But please let me know if anyone has the sending unit or tank straps. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 9.51.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 9.51.21 PM.png

My 1935-58 Buick had similar problems.   The car had a fuel tank that was leaking badly on the bottom so I sent it out to 'Re-Nuz' dealer.   It now looks like new.   I had to replace my straps with strapping material and make new strapping ends that had female ends for new bolts to tie it to the frame.     Buick was trying  different fuel level systems.   Mine had a '?' normal level float unit mounted on the top of the tank with an overflo tube only., with the 5 screw mount that we use today.   But that was tolerable but the outlet from the tank was from a fitting at the end of the tank about half way up and close to the front of the tank.    That  fitting had just a pick up line going into the tank going forward to the center bottom  of the tank ? ?  That outlet then went rigid to the front of the car to the fuel pump.     When I rebuilt / repaired the tank I removed that fitting.   . I got a more modern combination fuel tank outlet / level unit from Bob's.    It was for a ? 39 Buick tank   I aligned the float to keep the 'arc'  so it remained centered in the tank to minimize the gage from moving around as the fuel schloshed around and the needle on the gage from always moving around .   I had to bend the outlet line (carefully so it wouldn't kink)  so the line faced forward.   I then made a bracket to mount my electric boost pump  right next  tank and 'low so it would be in the 'flooded suction position.   Then I ran new steel fuel lines from there forward to the engine.   I ran the electrical wires from the boost pump along side the new line.    This guaranteed me a CLEAN system and one that will get me home if the engine fuel pump die's.  (been there - no fun).   The boost pump got me home nicely.    So, don't feel bad about our fuel systems and the 'rust' we find.    If you want dependable systems,  you sometimes have to replace the original completely.  

57357D58-CFE7-4B6D-97EF-74A11E130832.jpeg

D06C1C82-654C-48BC-9385-BEE8DEE3BB50.jpeg

• Like 1

Gas Tank Renu can do a good job. The proper way is they cut a fairly large window, blast clean, reweld and then coat/cure. Using plug holes generally results in less optimal surface cleaning then coating - eventual problems again.  The window challenge is if the tank top deflects then the sending unit elevation is problem. 
so after it is complete and probably or to leaving shop, it is wise to take your sending unit and check.