1914 Studebaker SC-4 touring

My list says that 1914 Studebaker SC 4 tire size is: 32x3 1/2.

1915 Studebaker SD 4 tire size is: 33x4

The Six's for those years shows as 33x4 also.

You said in another message that yours are 33x4.

Perhaps your car is a 1915 Studebaker SD 4?

I do have an information manual for SD 4, but I am not sure that it shows pics that would allow you to tell the difference.

I don't think I would try to identify a 108 year old car using tire sizes. I'm sure they have been replaced at least once and the 32 x 3-1/2 and 33 x 4 will both fit the same rim. How about a serial number? 

9 hours ago, Keith English said:

The serial number is probably a good idea.   It is 407962.

I'm a car guy but never had one this old before so it is a steep learning curve.

I thank everyone for their input and advise.

The SC series numbers went from 403001 to 420515, so it looks like yours fits in there.  The engine number will be between 4B-1 and 4B-185050.

• Like 1

Yes, you are absolutely right the engine number is 4B 5160.

My next question is should there be rubber/wood spacers between the body and the chassis?

My car was advertised as being driven into a garage in 1948 and not moving until it went to an auction house in 2021.

I have a feeling that during its long stay in the garage someone started a restoration and removed the body from chassis. The body bolts do not have nuts on them and the bolts protrude several inches thru the chassis. I believe the hood and steering column would fit better if the body where raised off the frame a little.

Thank again.

Hi @Keith English

I have an SC-4 serial number 410562, and am currently at the meet in South Bend, more than willing to chat shop with you.

For reference the original specified tires were Goodrich 32" x 3-1/2" which is a size that has not been available for a very long time. Most cars ended up with 33" x 4" since the rim size was the same. It's what I run on my car.

Easy identifying features of the car would be a gas tank filler in the cowl, and left hand drive on the body. The rear axle on these cars is a full floating design, the rear hubs don't really have a hub cap, whereas later years did.

As to body mounts, I'd have to take a look at my car, but right now it's a bit damp out to try crawl around underneath. The steering column is at a pretty acute angle with regards to the dash panel, but with the high seat it ends up being relatively comfortable. I don't believe the body of my car was ever restored, and it might not have been removed from the frame at all so it might be a good reference.

Looking forward to making your acquaintance.

Respectfully submitted,

Rusty Berg

PXL_20220505_215926457.jpg

PXL_20220505_215828091.jpg

PXL_20220505_215821124.jpg

PXL_20220505_215937625.jpg

• Like 1

I thank everyone for their input.

I'm pretty sure we have determined by the serial and engine numbers that the car is a 1914 SC-4 .

The tire size is also a done deal, the car may have come with 32 x 3 1/2 but 33x4 is the only choice today.

The photos that Rusty provided helps with the steering column question, I'm missing a piece between the mount and the dash board.

Rusty's photos also show the location of the "VIN" tag, it is located on the front seat base, visible when you open the drivers door.

I will provide photos as soon as I figure a way to upload them. My cell phone is the wrong file type and when I convert to an accepted file type, they are way too large to upload. 

Ironically, I found an online  photo of Rusty's car at Ypsilanti and was trying to figure a way to contact him. My car is virtually identical to his.

Rusty, I would look forward to trading notes with you, call most anytime 570-916-9176

Keith English

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Just curious - is that the body number stamped into the wood frame - or is it a part number?

PXL_20220505_215828091.jpg.a06683df493bb154080b0d8cfda5a9fe (2).jpg

@nzcarnerd

The Studebaker serial number 410562 is on the metal plate. The number stamped in the wood if I had to guess is the body number, but there is no readily available documentation of that number like the engine number or the serial number.