2008 Prius catalytic converter Cataclean

just me

2008 Prius with the check engine light on. Code read at AutoZone bad catalytic converter. Sales associate at AutoZone recommended using a bottle of Cataclean before replacing the converter.

Anyone here ever use Cataclean?

Thanks in advance

Charley

On 4/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, just me said:

2008 Prius with the check engine light on. Code read at AutoZone bad catalytic converter. Sales associate at AutoZone recommended using a bottle of Cataclean before replacing the converter.

Anyone here ever use Cataclean?

Thanks in advance

Charley

I suggest a simple test before spending a dime. OBD II cars use the two O2 sensors (one in front of the cat, one behind) to monitor catalyst performance. A fault indication could be due to a bad cat, but it could also be due to a bad O2 sensor - specifically the one behind the cat. By the way, that downstream O2 sensor really isn't used for engine control, only for monitoring cat performance. A simple thermal test will tell you if the cat is working. On a properly functioning cat, the outlet temperature should actually be about 100 deg or more HOTTER than the inlet temp. An IR thermometer is an easy way to test this. Be sure the cat is at operating temps first.

• Like 2