1932: How do I remove door handle from door latch post?

Pete Phillips

Trying to remove this outside door handle (1932 Buick) from the door latch post that it's been attached to for 90 years. Can anyone help? I've put PB Blaster on it, let it sit upside down, hammered it as much as I dare with a screwdriver, and it now turns about 3 degrees without turning the latch post, but won't come off. Any hints?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

IMG_2020.JPG

On the door jamb, there is a small hole where you need to use a small slotted screwdriver to remove the retaining pin.  If I recall you need to move the handle to get the screw oriented with the opening in the jamb.  I may be able to post pictures tomorrow if you need them.

I hope you didn't bend the retaining pin.  If so you have a real challenge ahead of you.

Bob 

Engle

Edited by Robert Engle
added comment (see edit history)

Pete,

Over the winter I removed my 32 door handle hand cut new keys by matching the tumblers.

• Rotate the handle slightly until the flathead blade set screw is visible in the small hole just below the latch.
  • Unscrew the set screw from the latch plate.
  • The handle slides out from the door.

20211213_165432.jpg

20211218_112113.jpg

20211213_172115.jpg

20211213_172719.jpg

20211213_172910.jpg

Edited by 32buick67 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

On the door jamb, there is a small hole where you need to use a small slotted screwdriver to remove the retaining pin.  If I recall you need to move the handle to get the screw oriented with the opening in the jamb.  I may be able to post pictures tomorrow if you need them.

I hope you didn't bend the retaining pin.  If so you have a real challenge ahead of you.

Bob 

Engle

On my 35 I accidentally sheared off the retaining pin inside the door trying to install it.It works now but hopefully I won t have to remove it.