1951 Pontiac Straight 8 Streamliner Silverstreak in UK

I imported this car 7 years ago into the UK from Phoenix but due to family circumstances have only just been able to devote enough time to get it roadworthy prior to chrome, spray and upholstery work. I have already rebuilt the Carb, Fuel/Vacuum Pump and the windscreen wiper vacuum actuator, the rest of the mechanical stuff was completed by the previous owner. 43,000 miles

Currently converting to 12 volts and a full rewire due to all insulation cracked and missing.

I'm an ex aircraft maintenance and repair engineer with lots of experience in cars and all things mechanical but one thing that is confusing me is the assembly of the horn ring. 

A few weeks after I got the car, the horn started sounding of its own accord, I had to dismantle the horn ring to keep it quiet and I vaguely remember a piece of brittle rubber falling out so I know something is missing.

Does anybody know how to assemble it and what parts I should have or where I can find the information?

I also need to import 2 windshields, which supplier ships to UK?

I bought the car to continue my American transport theme and will hook it up to one of my trailers - 1954 Airstream Globetrotter (total rebuild) or the 1949 Silverstreak Clipper (needs a refurb)

00n0n_ab9joinLq6C_600x450.jpg

DSC_0577.JPG

1951-pontiac-silver-streak-fastback-10.jpg

DSC_0258 (600 x 402).jpg

DSC_0255 (402 x 600).jpg

IMG-20210711-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210713-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rob5301 said:

Does anybody know how to assemble it and what parts I should have or where I can find the information?

Have a look here--->http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/

http://www.oldirononline.com/

Other GM brands may have a similar design (BOP=Buick Olds Ponti)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

I believe the horn ring , or horn button on  cars without the ring, only ground the horn relay allowing it to send voltage to the horn.  If originality is not important, find the wire where it exits the steering column and use a dash mounted horn switch.  Done all the time in past years.

Ben

Great parts shot 'The 55er'. Thanks. From that I can work out that the stuff that fell out was most likely a soft foam rubber which provided insulation in the circuit and the 'spring' return for the horn ring. I'll experiment with suitable foam.

• Like 1