70 Tank size?

BrianM

What is the fuel capacity on 1970 Riviera? Gas gauge doesn't work and I have been just filling up every 100-150mi. Somewhere I had it in my head that it was an 18gal tank but I asked google and got back everything from 18-28gal. I am at work and can't look in my chassis book or owners manual. Didn't know if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Thanks,

Brian 

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

What is the fuel capacity on 1970 Riviera? Gas gauge doesn't work and I have been just filling up every 100-150mi. Somewhere I had it in my head that it was an 18gal tank but I asked google and got back everything from 18-28gal. I am at work and can't look in my chassis book or owners manual. Didn't know if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Thanks,

Brian 

21 Gal.

Robert Bonto

Thanks Robert, that was the correct answer. I looked it up in both my owners manual and chassis book late last night then I saw your reply this morning.

I am getting about 14-15mpg if I can keep my foot out of it and about 10mpg when I am enjoying myself. Knowing I have 21 instead of the 18 lets me step up to 200 or more miles before I stop for gas. 

Mike, I love your car and keep looking at it trying to decide if I should put a black top back on mine. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 5:06 PM, BrianM said:

keep looking at it trying to decide if I should put a black top back on mine

Brian, Thank you for the kind words! Does your cowl tag state that your car has a black vinyl top? Is the interior originally black? 

If yes to the black interior and it appears your car was a vinyl roof car due to the C pillar lower molding, I would hazard a guess and say your car might originally have had a black vinyl roof.

If the interior was originally white, then a white vinyl top. If buckskin, then a matching top as well. I think 1969 & 1970 had a high number of vinyl top colors available but I can't access the "Options Not Available" section of the ROA website to verify that at the moment.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

I was told by the previous owner that he removed a black top when it was re painted in the original color in 2012. The car has dark blue vinyl interior. I haven't decoded the cowl tag.

20210914_115028.jpg