65 radiator will not come out - what am I missing (Solved)

Brtele

I’ve disconnected and drained coolant and transmission fluid. Took the top brace off. 
the radiator feels securely fastened to the lower radiator support but I can’t find where. 
I’ve searched and looked through the manual. 

what am I missing?

Thanks 

Edited by Brtele (see edit history)

Is there a shroud?  Can you go below and try gently prying up next to the rubber cushions?  If they're stuck, you could try snipping-off the 'nubs' that hold the cushion to the core support.  That would allow them to stay with the radiator.

You might try prying it up with a thin screw driver on each side inside the brackets. The bottom brackets hold the radiator in place and pulling it up is how it should come out. It could be stuck in there. I had many problems with things not coming out. 65 years is a long time. I have removed the bolts on the rear of a drive shaft and had to use a sledge hammer to get it free even with all the bolts removed. Don't give up. Gene.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, abandg said:

You might try prying it up with a thin screw driver on each side inside the brackets. The bottom brackets hold the radiator in place and pulling it up is how it should come out. It could be stuck in there. I had many problems with things not coming out. 65 years is a long time. I have removed the bolts on the rear of a drive shaft and had to use a sledge hammer to get it free even with all the bolts removed. Don't give up. Gene.

That’s exactly how I just got it out. It was STUCK

608178B7-186A-4585-8BD9-77DBC2629DBE.jpeg

772AB655-9D6E-4CD6-951E-EA9A810AB258.jpeg

74495513-1755-4846-B5D9-9121A882864D.jpeg

Edited by Brtele (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• Brtele changed the title to 65 radiator will not come out - what am I missing (Solved)

Speaking of not coming out.......the original radiator has never been removed from my car....it is spotless

inside and has never leaked  due to the coolant being replaced every two years since 1965........but I have

already determined that the transmission cooler lines are NEVER going to come out of the radiator lower

tank....they are frozen solid. I was going to remove the radiator when i was doing the timing chain and gear replacement in order to have more working room but I had to do the job with the radiator in place because

the cooler lines wouldn't unscrew from the radiator.  

A little heat & some penetrating fluid usually takes care of things like that. Sometimes you have to do it 2-3 times before the nuts/fittings un-rust themselves from the steel lines, BUT they will loosen. Just don't use too much heat as that could melt the solder. 

I've done this so MANY times I could do it in my sleep.

Tom T.

P.S.

Brandon the radiator has been out sometime in the past as the lines for the trans. oil cooler have been cut & line connectors have been put on to repair the cut lines. At least rubber hose wasn't used.

Tom T.

• Like 1