1934 Trunk Weatherstrip

reded

I own a 1934 model 46.  Does anyone have a picture of the trunk lid weatherstrip or a cross sectional drawing showing the weatherstrip?  Another 1934, 40 series model might be adequate.  Did the model 46 even have a trunk weatherstrip?  My research tells me that for Chevrolet, up until 1935, only the 1933 Chevrolet trunk sedan had one.  The "1934 Fisher Body Service Manual" says that trunks with trough drain tubes had the weatherstrip attached to the trunk lid.  The weatherstrip was in the trough for trunks without trough drain tubes.  My trunk trough has drain tubes.  Thank you for your response.

Well,  the 34 and 35 were almost identical.    My 35-58 is a two door trunk back version.   the trunk has a square rubber gasket (?)  rubber attached to the trunk lid.    Buick had a trough running around the edges of the body trough.   to capture  the water and direct it to the drain tubes.  

on three sides.  Then they put drain tubes  to direct the water out of the trunk and direct it out the bottom.   I bought a gasket from STEELE rubber gasket people.    I installed it but I'm not sure its correct thickness wise.   I have problems trying to close the lid  because of the thickness of the rubber.    The body has an vertical 'edge' that when the lid comes down - it presses center of the rubber on the body  edge.    I can take a few. pix and it will show you how mine works. . Oldbuickjim@gmail.com     Do you have any pix of the windshield  operating system.    I have parts and maybe it might work but I'm not sure how its supposed to work.  

Thanks for  your reply Jim.  I have a sample of Steele Decklid Weatherstrip # 70-0231-85.  The description says it fits some 1933-34 models.  It appears to me the piece would work well in the trough but not on the lid.  I would appreciate it if you could show a picture of yours.  My car has just one driver's side windshield wiper.  Sounds like your car has two wipers.  I don't think I can help you with your system.

all these pix are not adjusted or up being up.     these are not oriented .   first one top is on right,   second is the same,  and third is the same.   You can see how the lid has enough width to support the rubber gasket.   So when the lid comes down the rubber presses on the 'body - raised  section.   Mine is quite snug.   The  left pix in this series needs to have the pox  with the right edge being 'top.   the same for the right pix.   this is showing the  drain holes.   

C7545C04-23CD-4A6C-89AC-44FD87CCE7EE.jpeg

09D13520-C6D2-436F-B22D-C780C01F7167.jpeg

Reded,  Here is pix of my '35-58' trunk lid.   The pix are all 90* out.   The lid has the rubber gasket.   It is a square  foam rubber gasket that sticks to the trunk lid.      With the foam rubber gasket 'stuck'  to the lid,  when you close the lid,  the gasket is pressed over the vertical  body trim to create a water proof seal.   You can see the  water catch opening to send the water into the drain opening.   both of mine were plugged and I used a long drill bit to open it up.   I did it with a VERY slow speed.    I need to replace both 'rubber' drain tubes to get the water through the trunk area and down far enough  away from the body so the wood frame does not get wet.   It you want better pix of mine,  I will e-mail bigger  shots.   You can then see how the rubber gasket touched the body vertical parts.   You 'might' be able to see it in these pix.    The gasket presses down with a fairly large amount of effort - as it try's to seal the lid.   I am going to try lower the effort of the gasket interface as it keeps my trunk lid up enough that my latches don't work very well.   It would be interesting to see an original gasket size. to see how much interference is created.     Buick 35 is a friend of mine on the East coast on Florida.   I've been over to see his.  He's nicely fixing his up as he has kept it stock (mostly I think).  Mine is a modified slightly '35-58.     I'm a 12 volt guy and have changed my lighting because in our area,  you NEED bright brake lights (separate issue/project) to keep from being rear-ended.    Bummer as parts are very hard to find for repairs.  

2 hours ago, Jim Nelson said:

Reded,  Here is pix of my '35-58' trunk lid.   The pix are all 90* out.   The lid has the rubber gasket.   It is a square  foam rubber gasket that sticks to the trunk lid.      With the foam rubber gasket 'stuck'  to the lid,  when you close the lid,  the gasket is pressed over the vertical  body trim to create a water proof seal.   You can see the  water catch opening to send the water into the drain opening.   both of mine were plugged and I used a long drill bit to open it up.   I did it with a VERY slow speed.    I need to replace both 'rubber' drain tubes to get the water through the trunk area and down far enough  away from the body so the wood frame does not get wet.   It you want better pix of mine,  I will e-mail bigger  shots.   You can then see how the rubber gasket touched the body vertical parts.   You 'might' be able to see it in these pix.    The gasket presses down with a fairly large amount of effort - as it try's to seal the lid.   I am going to try lower the effort of the gasket interface as it keeps my trunk lid up enough that my latches don't work very well.   It would be interesting to see an original gasket size. to see how much interference is created.     Buick 35 is a friend of mine on the East coast on Florida.   I've been over to see his.  He's nicely fixing his up as he has kept it stock (mostly I think).  Mine is a modified slightly '35-58.     I'm a 12 volt guy and have changed my lighting because in our area,  you NEED bright brake lights (separate issue/project) to keep from being rear-ended.    Bummer as parts are very hard to find for repairs.  

Jim,Thanks for the compliment.I'm glad you're my friend.We need all we can get these days. Need me to look for anything at Turkey run on Sunday?Greg.

Edited by Buick35
Spelling (see edit history)