Large sport phaeton

nzcarnerd

A 1942 photo from Shorpy with an interesting large sport phaeton.

I don't recognise the hood louvre set up. Note also the interesting decorative line on the cowl.

if you download the second photo you might be able to blow it up on your screen for a better look. I wasn't able to make it any bigger for posting.

SHORPY-8c22046a Central City Colorado 1942.jpg

SHORPY-8c22046a Central City Colorado 1942 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Very LWB car. Interesting that it has a bead line on the doors and hood but the cowl seems blank? Genuine DCP - note the vent in the very wide door pillar to supply air to the feet occupying the rear compartment. An exploded view suggests maybe 6 large vents in the hood as well as a small one in the cowl and door pillar. Does not have the long front fenders common to many DCP's of 1930 and later. Are those woodlite headlights? Someone will know the identity.

2 minutes ago, Kean Thompson said:

Very LWB car. Interesting that it has a bead line on the doors and hood but the cowl seems blank? Genuine DCP - note the vent in the very wide door pillar to supply air to the feet occupying the rear compartment. An exploded view suggests maybe 6 large vents in the hood as well as a small one in the cowl and door pillar. Does not have the long front fenders common to many DCP's of 1930 and later. Are those woodlite headlights? Someone will know the identity.

Wheelbase is 136" I think. I guess it has that distinctive curvy vertical line in the cowl instead of anything else that might be expected.

Cool and rare car......probably a Chrysler Red Head? 136 inch chassis is almost long enough to qualify for my collection. It’s a bit short for a touring car...........and almost long enough for a mid sized roadster. Great photo, and post.

50 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Cool and rare car......probably a Chrysler Red Head? 136 inch chassis is almost long enough to qualify for my collection. It’s a bit short for a touring car...........and almost long enough for a mid sized roadster. Great photo, and post.

I have had little to do with the 1920s Imperials but I have discovered an easy, at a glance,  way to tell the big engine from the rest of that 1920s Chrysler sixes - the gap between the two water jackets.

It was only when we investigated back in 2017 when we obtained the, mag ignition, 1925 project car, that I discovered that all of the 1920s seven bearing sixes are based around the same block size. The 1924 201 and the 'small' 60 and the last of the 268 cid 77s all have the same length block. There are many detail differences of course. Much like with my Studebakers.

This is a 1926 roadster in NZ - 

26 CRYE eng 0122.jpg

• Like 4

That picture was actually taken in my backyard, I've lived in Golden Colorado until covid hit. I've recognized the sunburst brick house in the background. This photo is now of the new Central City police station and city hall. Note how the gold mine is now hidden behind city hall....

Screenshot_20220309-193626.png

• Like 6