1937 Pontiac 6 Mechanical Restore

PaulHonore

New to the forums, I’m down under in Victoria, Australia and will no doubt be reaching out to the US for parts availability shortly as I and a few mates have embarked on a mechanical restoration of my Pontiac. Mechanical because the body is in great shape and with a few rub downs in places and a coating of boiled linseed I reckon I can register her and take a run down to the General Store once a week..

I know it isn’t going to be that straightforward and will be looking for the following parts once an outsourced block and head reconditioning have proven she’s up to the task.

I reckon a full set of gaskets.

Replacement Radiator

Carby kit

Belts

Door handles

Window and other rubbers

I’ll update this forum as I go and as other requirements come up. If anyone could be so kind as to point me in the direction of sources for the above, or if you have anything for sale..

We are all ears down here!

E8B2C135-D810-4439-9214-A7C52FD5B90F.jpeg

61FA4F42-263E-42EF-91ED-D96870384238.jpeg

0B775A2C-E4CC-4F08-8E04-565DC627E919.jpeg

1B1B8B07-8449-43BC-9AAA-9C869AC21C1B.jpeg

• Like 1

Good morning Paul,

Olson Gaskets is a source for your motor gaskets. Looks fairly complete for 1937 Pontiac from their website. "info@olsongaskets.com" as well as phone 360-871-1207 Washington State USA.

Steele Rubber for door and window rubber products. They list a number of items for 1937 Pontiac at "steelerubber.com" and 704-483-9343 Denver, North Carolina USA

Forum member "carbking" at "thecarburetorshop.com" is an excellent resource of both knowledge and carb kits.

Belts possibly from a parts store such as NAPA.

Forum member "the handleman" (I believe that's his name) may be a source for door handles.

These are not the only resources but this is a good start on your restoration. Good luck and keep us posted... Dave

• Like 1

I can help you with many of the engine parts you will need.  The first thing I would tell you is do not grind the crank or bore the block until you have the bearings and pistons in hand.  Some of the sizes are very hard if not impossible, so do your homework.  Once you know some of the engine parts and sizes you need, send me an email.  kelsey@prairieinet.net or call 641-648-9086.  I take Visa, Mastercard and would be happy to ship to Australia by US mail.  Thanks!  Kurt Kelsey Antique Pontiac Parts

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

welcome to the forum. The six cylinder Pontiac was sold in good numbers down under so there may still be sources here. I rebuilt a couple of side valve sixes many years ago (1940 Silver Streak) and sourced most parts (bearings gaskets valves pistons) within Australia thou no doubt a few of those sources no longer exist. Relatively easy motor to work on but they are heavy. When rebuilt properly they are nice and smooth and quiet runners. Good luck and enjoy!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

Hi Paul, Good looking car for a project.

I have 2 Pontiac Chieftains , 1951 and a 53 version both built in Aus.  I have acquired a few spare engines and gearboxes, gasket sets valves etc.  

Gates TR 24403 fan belt is the correct fan drive belt for my models as it has the 3/4" cross section and i confident that will fit your model as well. 

Anyhow if i can be of any help pls just message me.

Rgds

Russ

Hi everyone,

no longer restoring my 37 sedan. If anyone is interested let me know. Would prefer to sell as a whole. Not part out. Overall in great shape. Engine not seized. Almost all original. Including rims and caps. 

no mods

stored indoors for 40 yrs. 

would love for it to go to a great home. 

DM if you would like more information. 
Working on a 38 chev now

G

4BA328C6-8D06-4DB3-B769-032F1DE9A270.jpeg

2182FEE9-4C3D-4E1D-B788-2826270B81B5.jpeg

D56053B2-3AB6-4E0E-93B0-793FA3B52C26.jpeg

Edited by Geordie H (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2022 at 5:00 PM, PaulHonore said:

New to the forums, I’m down under in Victoria, Australia and will no doubt be reaching out to the US for parts availability shortly as I and a few mates have embarked on a mechanical restoration of my Pontiac. Mechanical because the body is in great shape and with a few rub downs in places and a coating of boiled linseed I reckon I can register her and take a run down to the General Store once a week..

I know it isn’t going to be that straightforward and will be looking for the following parts once an outsourced block and head reconditioning have proven she’s up to the task.

I reckon a full set of gaskets.

Replacement Radiator

Carby kit

Belts

Door handles

Window and other rubbers

I’ll update this forum as I go and as other requirements come up. If anyone could be so kind as to point me in the direction of sources for the above, or if you have anything for sale..

We are all ears down here!

E8B2C135-D810-4439-9214-A7C52FD5B90F.jpeg

61FA4F42-263E-42EF-91ED-D96870384238.jpeg

0B775A2C-E4CC-4F08-8E04-565DC627E919.jpeg

1B1B8B07-8449-43BC-9AAA-9C869AC21C1B.jpeg

That looks just like mine did.  Have fun