1928 Chrysler Steering Wheel Controls Repair

leomara

These are the 3 control rings in the center of the steering wheel.  The center ring is for the lights and the other two are spark and throttle.  The rectangle slots are where the pot metal control levers are attached to the rings.  The top portion of the ring is some type of resin or Bakelite and those pieces are attached to metal cups which have hollow rods extending to the bottom of the steering column where the connect to the Clum switch and control rods.  The Bakelite has cracks as you can see and I do not want to try and compress the cracks to glue them because I fear the Bakelite would just crumble more if any type of stress is applied to it.  I want to fill the cracks with something that can be sanded smooth for paint but also will bond firmly and not fall out.  My first thought was to use an epoxy like JB Weld.  Is there something better suited for this type of repair? 

100_1402.JPG

I have a machinist friend who made two control levers for a 1928 Plymouth steering wheel hub set up.  I believe he took stainless flat stock and cut and shaped/filed it similar to the factory profile and silvered them to their corresponding lever hubs. When finished they looked very original.  Just a thought,