1937 Oldsmobile F37, frame-off restoration

Yes, all BaT auctions have a reserve unless "No Reserve" is listed within the title. And of the cars carrying a reserve, there is no way to know if it has been met or not. It's only after the auction closes that the bid history will show "sold for xxxx" or "reserve not met at xxxx".

Just how they do it.

• Like 1

Kind of strange they don't tell you if a reserve has been met when bidding.  I can tell you people get alot more intense at bidding when they know the reserve has been met as it's no longer a game but a game they can win and not have it end in a draw with no winner.  When I tried selling my Vette with a reserve before it had an engine fire for a reasonable amount it struggled to hit 50 G, 20 G under the reserve.  After the engine fire and 30G in damage.  I set the reserve at 30G and it was met in 12 hours,  then the car got bid to 60G and sold.   Why didn't any fo the bidders ever take it above 50G before with no damage?  Most likely because there was a reserve that hadn't been met. 

One of the reason every one of my 30 daily literature auctions has no reserve and a cheap opening bid. So that everything sells. Often for more than you can buy it now from other sellers. 

• Like 1

Yes, there is a psychological aspect to it alright! I sell about 2 cars a month on BaT, most all of them with a reserve. But on occasion, near the end, I'll announce in the comments that the reserve is off. Sometimes it lights off, other times it's made no difference and the bidding peters out. Still trying to figure out which approach is better.

I've found that on BaT, most bidders are busy competing against each other instead of worrying too much about whether the reserve has been met or not. And if it does end up RNM, BaT is gracious in putting the high bidder in contact with the seller afterwards, with no fees expected or asked for.

• Like 1