Oil filter lines?

TLoft

My 1951 8 cyl has a Fram oil filter mounted on the block.  I noticed one of the oil lines, which are original, had a bad place on it so I removed all the lines and left the filter in place.  I've had a problem finding the original type and length lines and have been running with the factory oil cleaner in the mean time.  The book says that's ok but I would feel better with the filter working again.  Anybody know where I can get replacement lines?  Also, a few days later I noticed the lines have different size bores on each end.  I don't remember exactly how they hooked up and suppose there's a good reason for the different size and should go back a certain way, or does it matter?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The oil filters are by-pass or side stream filters as fitted are optional or after market, so as Kornkurt says  ensure you dont allow  too much oil flow through the side stream filter for obvious reasons. 

The side stream filters I have fitted run 5/16th OD or 1/4 " ID lines to the filter inlet from the oil pressure gallery tapping point near the oil pump.  This  size tubing is a natural choke / restriction of flow that will still allow the standard oil pump to deliver / maintain good pressure at idle when at Normal Operating temp but  allows a reasonable flow through the side stream filter.  You should also  consider placing   Rare earth magnets on the exterior of the filter  housing as you wlll be surprised  at the material it captures on the inside of the housing over time- this material  normally passes through the filters  given its small  micron rating but the magnet will capture it on the inside  of the filter housing. I've run these magnets for years on all my vehicles and motorcycles both old and modern and swear by their ability to capture very small ferritic  particles from within the oil stream.  its an extremely efficient way of fine micron filtration without impediment  to flow.

• Like 1