Seeking recommendations for gas gauge repair

Narve N

Anyone willing to recommend a vendor for repair of my 1929 Series 65 Fuel Gauge or having done it themselves and able to give me a hint of what to look for? I bought this NOS gauge from eBay many years back after fierce bidding and at great cost. It looks fabulous, but does not work just like these typically never do. My previous experiences with either Norwegian or US instrument repair vendors are mixed, so could any of you recommend a good contact?221002976_CR190602RightOnSkien(4).jpg.80a013196455bef238fecd96c6f6e7fe.jpg

Hi Narve,

My series 62 has basically the same guage, but has a slightly different nickel bezel. I bought a series 65 gas guage from Canada and the needle was loose inside. Upon opening and checking, I found the needle pivots on a bearing made of pot metal and the pot metal has disintegrated with age. I opened a  series finer 70 gas guage I have, hoping to use it, but that has the same problem.

I hopefully was lucky, and bought another one in USA last month, from a guy who said it is the only one of 14 that he has, that is actually working.

I would suggest taking the front nickel bezel and glass off your one, and look carefully to see if the needle is loose, chances are your guage has suffered the same fate, and I would be surprised if anyone can fix them.

Regards

Viv

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 31plymouth said:

Has it been verified that the gauge is the problem and not the sending unit in the gas tank? 

Absolutely, I have checked all of my 4 sending units and 3 gauges with a multi-meter including cross-checking to isolate issues. One gauge was working, but this is a model normally placed differently in the dash of 31 model Plymouths (?) and ends upside down if placed in the Series 65. I solved it temporarily by shifting its location with the ampere-meter, which now is upside down but otherwise a more stable gauge. Of the sending units, the expansive replica I had bought specifically for this car was defective (lots of money gone, the vendor doesn't even answer my e-mails asking for hints for repair), but I am getting away by borrowing a sending unit from my model CG.

967341427_CR201231Km.standNyttr02980.jpg.c9f17d719af2e73670ebdaae381ca0d5.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Narve N, I just had my 1928 Chrysler Model 72 gas gauge repaired by this guy.  In my case the pointer was broken off and he was able to repair it using a pointer from an early Chevrolet gauge, I cannot tell the difference.  Not only that but he removed some corrosion from the internal pot metal which was also causing a problem.  I recommend him highly.

John Wolf & Co Inc

36470 Biltmore Place #8

Willoughby, Ohio 44094

USA

440 942 0083

• Like 1