A good read - Crankshaft magazine #3

Walt G

I have had my issue for a few days now. You can feel the quality when you hold it and see the quality in the photos. Mine gets passed on to two other readers and at some point I discuss the articles with each of them.

Seeing the before picture of the Graham did throw up a red flag of warning that could apply to younger readers.

In 1961 my village library bought a copy of Ralph Stein's The Treasury of the Automobile .That actual book is less than five feet from me. I bought it as a discard. At the age of 12 I was most impressed by this page:

IMG_0198.JPG.f03d29bd326db8dccc1affd27ac90c94.JPG

It affected my life from the moment I saw it, much like the Graham article in the current magazine. That page brought out the "I can do that" response in me as it might in an impressionable youth of today. I have spent most of my life searching for the "before" car when I probably should have been figuring out how to buy the finished one!

It has been a 60+ year adventure. Done a lot, seen a lot, And learned a lot. The Graham article was a real trigger and brought a train of memories. Although I would recommend a warning just in case some 12 year old gets their hands on a copy.

• Like 2

Dave thank you for the kind words. Sharing the information, images, photos I have really mean a lot to me. Some collectors bask in the fact that they have some bit of history that everyone else doesn't so that makes them a step above everyone else, better, more superior, ta ta poo poo.  I have a very strong dislike for that level of mentality , some of the people I used to teach with had that as well - they had a PHD ( Piled higher and deeper) . 

To me making someone "have a good day" or smile just works for me. I do avoid the self proclaimed experts and anyone who wants to use me or my archives for what they deem as important - because it makes them look good.  We all have our own ways of getting deep satisfaction from what we do or have.

Walt

• Like 3