Bosch DU4 model 10

Buzz68

I guess I would ask for photos and info of someone who has an identical Buick. It’s gonna be faster and easier to just buy one off the shelf from the rebuilders........most of them are six months out or longer on service. Since you need the most common magneto in the world...........it’s really just a matter of writing the check. Working used units may appear as a good value.......but unrestored units often develop condenser issues when they get hot for the first time in fifty years. Since most units are well over 80 years old........the true value is buying one rebuilt already and concentrate on other parts of the car.

Rudy at Rebuiltmags.com has a fast turn around service for 45 dollars more. He overhauled my bad DU4 and got it back to me in less than 12 days. I requested he NOT do a cosmetic restoration because my car was a preservation class vehicle. Worked out great. He has a nice web page. The other two guys in the northeast also have excellent reputations.......Maine and Connecticut shops. I used Rudy because I was in a hurry. Give Rudy a call.....he probably has a good core on the shelf available for sale.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Three gears inside the engine front cover

From standing in front of car

Engine rotates clockwise

so

Cam gear then runs counter clockwise 

and then

Waterpump shaft and mag drive gear run clockwise 

So looking at the input shaft of the mag it rotates clockwise. But looking from the back where the points are it would be counter clockwise 

Correction.  The Model 10 has 4 gears.  See comments below. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That sounds correct, clockwise if three gears on the Model 10.  The Model 16 and 17 has four gears, so uses a counter clockwise rotation.  

Yes, easy to change rotation on a Bosch mag, IF you have the parts to do it.

By the way, the Buick accessory catalog used by dealers for parts in 1910 offered the Bosch magneto as a replacement for the Remy system, so some people didn’t like the Remy to start with!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 1