428 Cobra Jet Tag

Hupp36

The emblem may or may not be real. You would have to see the back side to determine if it is O.E.M. Ford production or re - production. But I don't think any of the  1968 Mustangs like your photo shows used this emblem { I don't think that the 1968 1/2 CJ's used it either }. It is found on 68 Shelby GT 500 KR's. At some point a Mustang owner decided to install it. Looks good , but not a stock part on a Mustang.

• Like 2

Rear 1/4 vents are 1967. So 99% chance car is a 67. The 1/4 vents are a better indication than the marker lights. So 390 is top engine option. But a 428 { Mustang ,Torino and Cyclone version } can be bolted into any 1967 - 70 Mustang with the right mounts and exhaust manifolds. Let us know what you find when you get a chance to have a good look at it.

• Like 1

Thank you  for  your  response. All I  really wanted to  know was if  the   428 Cobra jet tag  was  a Ford part or a  reproduction. I  think  I  got  that  answer. Now  when I  get  the  car home, I  will check the  serial #  like  you said.  And  yes being 55 years old and  a number of  owners, it more than  likely has  a lot  of  repo  parts.  It  still looks  a little bad to the  bone  to me. 

1 hour ago, Hupp36 said:

No, Just going to  get it  running  for  my  cousin, her Dad left her the  car  when he passed  away.  Been sitting for  a while, needs  tires , some  light  body  work.

The best part of owning a mustang is that you can buy every part you need new out of a catalog.  At least you could for years.

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The best part of owning a mustang is that you can buy every part you need new out of a catalog.  At least you could for years.

Including ones not originally on the car from the factory. 😉

• Haha 1