Any ideas what this large toy tonneau car is supposed to be? It appears to be very old.

Toystorations

It's galvanized metal. The wheel on it is a VECO hobby shop wheel from the 1950s and was seemingly put on after the original wheels needed replaced as it's too small, the axles are painted red and stick out past the fenders so they might have been replaced as well and the paint might not be original if that's the case. It's spot welded, the fenders are hand formed and made from the base of the car, the body is one piece, and the seats each are one piece bent and spot welded.

The front is missing but was clearly rounded like a Stanley Steamer, but the rear seat is higher than the front seat which I don't think any Stanley did. Any idea what car it is supposed to be? I'm sure figuring out who made it will be impossible, but it would be nice to know what kind of car it is so I don't build it into the wrong thing. My guess is someone had it made it for their kid, to match their car.

car03.jpg.0b7d0b134d547ce1022e2e4fa870c925.jpg

car02.jpg.d0585e4ed284c4e7b8d08e71cf36e011.jpg

hood04.jpg.9cf55fd49f3c71b4fc7250647d620f5e.jpg

Edited by Toystorations
fixing images. (see edit history)

Not as old as you think. From the materials used and type of construction I'd say it's a 1950s or 6s era fraction drive toy.  

Terry

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terry Bond said:

Not as old as you think. From the materials used and type of construction I'd say it's a 1950s or 6s era fraction drive toy.  

Terry

I don't see any friction gearing, but I agree with the 1950s or 1960s story.

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I don't see any friction gearing, but I agree with the 1950s or 1960s story.

Right, looking at photos I saw some kind of "bracket" at the front end of the car.  Thought it was a photo taken under the car, but not the case.  It's quite crude actually and could be home-made using tires/wheels from some other kind of toy vehicle.

Terry

• Like 2

Most noticeable for me is the fact that the metal under that paint is galvanized, which is why the paint has stuck very well. I actually think this may have been "folk art," made by a skilled professional sheet metal worker, from scraps lying behind the shear in a sheet metal shop. No compound radii anywhere, etc. The wheels and tires certainly don't match the character of a car from the early teens, either. Looking at the photos, I'm confident that I could have made this car myself, back when I was a sheet metal worker in the union building trades.  

Interesting toy, nevertheless. 

• 3 weeks later...