wig wag taillight repair/conversion

Does anyone have information or source to repair the vacuum mechanism on a wig wag taillight or information regarding converting the vacuum to electric. I have a very nice tail light,  chrome and glass in excellent shape but the unit is inoperable at this time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ellagee 

I am restoring 3 Wig Wag Tailights right now that will require me to replace the leather vacuum seals...  I want remail close to the original way they came from the manufacturer. I have converted the original vacuum control to a small 6V switch that is placed at the rear of the car It has successfully run a single Wig Wag Tail Light ...(I believe it will handle up to 2 lights). If you are interested I will need about 2 weeks to complete the work on my lights and I will then be in a position to assist you with parts and service if you would like.....let me know if you are interested.

Regards Frank  

Frank, 

I'm interested in your help but I just sent parts of the taillight to be rechromed so its going to be a while.  I did not send the lower half of the taillight since it was not in bad shape plus I didn't want to dissemble the mechanism. So I could send that part of the taillight when you are ready. Let me know if that will work for you.

Larry Gardon

Edited by ellagee (see edit history)

Larry,

Ok I will be pleased to help you...do you want just the leather seal replaced or do you want the wiring done as well.  All I need is the motor end and the light bulb receptacle I can send the components to wire the light in the lantern ....let me know what you would like done.

Regards Frank 

Frank,

Both of the lights are in working order.  I just need the vacuum mechanism repaired.. The leather seal seems to be OK (maybe) but the movement of the mechanism seems to be binding. I'd like to send the mechanism section to you for your evaluation and repair. Can you e-mail me    ellagee@charter.net    with your address and phone.

Thanks

Larry Gardon

ellagee@charter.net

Hi Guys,

I too am working on getting a wig wag light for my 37 Dictator working.  The vacuum seems to function when putting vacuum on the light.  What are you guys using to run the light?  I don’t have the original vacuum valve that attached under the floor board to the vacuum and brake pedal.  Also, I would love any mounting parts you might have.  Thank you.

Nate

Nate —- I used a propane safety switch used on forklifts to activate the vacuum on my wig-wag.   I wired it to the brake light switch on the master cylinder.  The forklift switch is 12 volts, and I think had to be wired backwards to work on a 6-volt negative ground system, but it can be placed anywhere on the vacuum line, was really simple and works really well.  I’m pretty sure this was the system Jerry Kurtz used on his cars and he’s the one who told me about it.

Dick Quinn had a complete NOS system several years ago, but I don’t know if he sold it or not

I can take pictures of my installation and I might be able to come up with the part number my local forklift dealer used for that switch. I haven’t seen that receipt for years, so I’m not sure what file I have it in.

Tom

Tom,

Thank you.  I’ll give you a call this week.  I was hoping to ask you about that switch.  I read some older posts about the propane switches for these lights.  I bought my light from Jerry’s wife.  It’s a wig wag brand, but I have a reproduction studebaker tag for it.  I just need a few mounting parts.  Thanks!

nate

13 hours ago, nolling said:

Rex,

Do you recall how he modified the wig-wag for an electric conversion? I’d be interested in trying to do the conversion or sending. The wig-wag on my 38 needs to be rebuilt. 

Niall

He made it total electric, no vacuum used.  I think he had 2 solenoids inside. 

As I recall, he used small components from either radio controlled aircraft or radio controlled cars. Jerry Kurtz had one of them, and showed the wig-wag to me, but I didn’t ask to look inside the housing.  I remember that Jerry seemed to be pretty impressed.

Tom

• Like 1