2x Starters, unsure voltage

37 Pontiac SilverStreak

Forum Members,

I have started my renos again, love the feedback and posts as they really help me..

I have 2x starters, and about to replace and / or flip my flywheel over (some minor teeth damage)..

I am unsure the voltage of the 2 starters as I was bad and forgot to label them when moving to new house) as 1 was from a 1937 216 (this is 6v) and the other came with the swapped engine of 1948 235.. I think they are both 6v..

Car is going 100% 12v.. 

I'm willing to replace them,

I'm willing to rewire them,

I'm willing to keep then, do I need a reducer?

On Chevrolet there is zero compatibility and interchangeability between 6v and 12v stuff. If you are using a 6v starter, you must have a 6v flywheel gear, and that probably means a 6v flywheel and bellhousing too, but I'm less sure of that part. Most conversions are just using a 6 volt starter on a 12v electrical system. Another less common fix is rewinding the starter, because the 12v parts do not fit it.

Mechanically the whole mess has to be either 6v or 12v. No mixing. That is why the 6v starter is often used. Factory installed 12V setups appeared in 1955, so 1948 is 6 volt for sure.

On Delco-Remy starters a black ID tag means 6v, a red id tag means 12v, and an orange one means 24v.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

If both starters are foot pedal - as they should be, there is a small terminal on the side of the switch pad for a bypass wire on the 12 volt.  It would have to come off a truck as there were no 12 volt pedal start cars.  It is quite safe to use the 6 volt on a 12 volt system as long as you don't stand on it for more than 15 - 20 seconds at a time. 

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)