freezing gasket

broker-len

All I do to reuse a good copper gasket is heat it carefully with a propane torch which fluffs it up. Doesn't have to be hot, just a quick blast with the torch and you can see it.  Spray it with copper gasket sealer and they usually work fine. 

• Like 1

If you are asking about manifold gaskets, like around the exhaust, don't know if they can be saved. The material used between the layers of copper, at this point, might be pretty crispy as would the copper or steel jacket.  There are high heat materials you can buy at auto parts stores or online. They are a layered heat-resistant material over a metal substrate. You would cut or make your own gasket. I have done this a few times, esp for gaskets that are not easily found or are costly.

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

The kind of gasket you speak of freezing are of the old style copper and asbestos.

Theory is that the water will be absorbed by the asbestos and the freezing water in the asbestos will cause the laminated copper /asbestos gasket to swell.

I doubt this would ever work using a modern gasket

• Like 2

I have done it on an old Caterpillar gasoline tractor successfully.  But I doint imagine the compression ratio of that engine was much above 4.5:1.

The "process" was something my dad told me that they used to do - I'd guess in the '20's or during the depression