rjp

This doesn't go back as far as 1917, but the earliest entries suggest a point gap of 0.020" and a spark plug gap of 0.025".  Certainly good enough to get the engine running.  You can start there and experiment to find the optimum settings for your car.  :)

https://www.tpocr.com/studebaker.html

• Like 1

What kind of ignition system does it have?

If it is an ordinary points distributor, that sounds about right. If it is Atwater Kent Unisparker, or if it is a magneto, I would search by the maker of the ignition rather than Studebaker.

That makes me feel better the dist. is a Remy,  If it was like alot of other car makers they used what they could get at the time and every factory plant was different. How many different factory plants did Studebaker have?

Remy was one of the earliest automotive electrical companies so they were around well before your car was built. 

14 hours ago, Old buicks 2 said:

Wagner ignition on Studebakers did not appear until 1920.   They used Wagner starter and generators but the distributor unit was REMY.   

Yes, that is correct. I forgot the original post was regarding points (I.e. ignition)